Can be a Dual Boot Linux and Windows 11 on a RAID array?

CelDePeScaunHDS

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, as the title suggest, my question is : if someone has a PC with a RAID array setup , can you install a dual boot ( not Linux in a virtual machine ... how is ended the story in the final .... ) . The technician reply was : it CAN NOT be done , because it will broken the RAID on Windows ?! Thanks in advance for your replies.

The technician reply was : it CAN NOT be done , because it will broken the RAID on Windows ?!
I think technician is correct.

Windows will complain about "uncrecognized file system" for an ext4 file system, and as such the OS won't be able to mange RAID.

Technically I think you could, if you used hardware raid and not software raid but you would have two raid devices. Two disks setup as 1 raid device for your Windows and another raid device for Linux installation, that would be in a raid1 setup. The only tricky thing might be a BIOS setup where Grub needs to be installed but it might sound more complicated than it is, with efi I see no issues since both os place efi files on the same efi partition to boot from. I don't see how a raid setup would break Windows, unless maybe if a the raid setup is a software raid setup in Windows.

Thanks for reply. Looks like up to now is 50-50 :) Maybe in the future , someone who really came across this issue , hopefully see this post and give us a verdict ....

Members online