Best way to Move my linux mint setup from a HDD 1tb to a SSD 1tb

francis1230

Reaction score
Credits
Newbie to linux seeking best or easy option to move my linux mint setup that is on a older Dell Inspiron 5575 with a 1 tb HDD. I would like to replace the HDD with a SSD and move all my files and installed apps/programs to the new 1tb SSD. Not sure if cloning or new image will be the best option, In my research i understand that cloning may not work when cloning HDD to A SSD.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, willing to provide more info if nessecary.
Tony

G'day francis1230, Welcome to Llinux.org

Which 'Linux' are we talking about?...linux mint version?....20.3?...21?....19?

Do you have Timeshift set up ?

Last edited:
I’m using cinnamon not sure the versions
Yes I have time shift setup
Is Foxclone a good option to clone

You can create an Image of your HDD and put it on your new SSD with Foxclone...make sure you download the UK ISO.
https://www.foxclone.com/

I did just that a couple of years ago and it works perfectly...Foxclone comes with instructions too. It was developed by a guy in the UK...I'm not involved with it in any way...I just use it because it's great.
happy0034.gif

Welcome to the Forum.
happy0005.gif

Last edited:
Brian

Best way to Move my linux mint setup

@francis1230 - Tony, welcome to linux.org :)

If you go to your start menu and lauch it, start to type in

welcome

and with the popup window, tell us what it says bottom right corner.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I believe in going with the safest route for me. Which is to do a FULL Timeshift snapshot to external HDD. Then a clean install to the SSD....and then restore the Timeshift Snapshot and backup.
This way I'll have my original HDD to reinstall in case things go wrong.

1. Do you have an external drive to save Timeshift snapshots to?.....what size is it? do you have more than one external drive?....what size if so.
2. Do your Timeshift snapshots include the /home folder ?
3. Do you have a usb stick with your Linux os on it?
4. Seeing you are a newbie to Linux....how much data/pics/music/whatever else....do you have that needs backing up ?...is there a great lot?....could you just as easily copy and paste or drag n drop what you need to save to an external hard drive/usb stick??

Tony, I am simply trying to get all the ducks in a row for you.......so that the process will be as straightforward as possible.....we just want lots of quacks...without any oink in the middle of it !....both for your peace of mind and also for mine.

(I can give you the settings necessary to include /home in your Timeshift snapshot. It is easy and straightforward to do.)

Last edited:
Foxclone has a Verifying Tool...so you know the Image you've created is good.
happy0035.gif

The best part is...you can put the same Image on heaps of Drives if you wish as long as their the same size.
happy0034.gif

In my research i understand that cloning may not work when cloning HDD to A SSD.
It won't work only if your Mint installation was installed in EFI mode. If it's Legacy mode, cloning will most definitely work bc that's how I've moved my installation between storages quite a few times - with Clonezilla.

Foxclone has a Verifying Tool...so you know the Image you've created is good.
happy0035.gif

The best part is...you can put the same Image on heaps of Drives if you wish as long as their the same size.
happy0034.gif
Using foxclone you use the cloning method right and will it do partitions automatically

Clonezilla.
Target must be equal to or greater in size than drive source.
I have not tried what others above suggest, just know what works for me.

Members online