beginning with Linux mint. want to get online wirelessly

simple person

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I am really really really new. Like I just went and purchased a used Lenova laptop cheap and installed Mint.. and everything works.. Now I would like to get online and have not the slightest idea how to do this..

where can I find information.?
I have a router and a password.

I am really really, well, what my handle here at this forum, a simple person. Not computer techy altho have been on computers for more than 20 years. Am totally new to linux. Like I just got Mint installed and I am sitting here looking at the lovely little machine and wondering what to do to get online.

Help would be much appreciated
simple person.

You might tell us which Mint... 19.x or 20.x... and which desktop: Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE... or did you install Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)? You might tell us which model Lenovo laptop too, including how much RAM it has. If we have to dig deeper, we will probably need to know these things. Though it may seem redundant, you should mention these things in every new thread you create... because we forget such things for so many other users, and maybe it will be new people who will try to help you. But maybe my simple instructions below will get you going.

where can I find information.?
I have a router and a password.
As with most computers, even Windows, there are a number of icons in the lower right section of the panel, near the clock. One of those should provide your network access. Hover your mouse over each one to see a popup bubble telling you what it is until you find the network one. Then it may be a right-click, or a left-click, on the correct icon to open it up and show your connection options... hopefully wireless options to your router and home network. Click on your network, give the password (case sensitve), and you should be online quickly. Once you complete this step successfully, Mint will connect to your wireless network automatically in the future.

Last edited:
YAY! got online. easy peasy..

funny I had "moused over" what I thought was every icon but missed the "log on" one..

Received your response at the other thread.. will continue here.

I know I have the cinnamon mint update 5.7.3

laptop is
LenovaTP 11e 20DA
intel Celeron N2940 1.83 / 2.25 GHz 4GB RAM. 11.6"screen
120GB SS drive

Thank you thank you!
as some people say in Ireland
"its to heaven you will be going bye and bye "
for all the good help you have been!

simple

as some people say in Ireland
"its to heaven you will be going bye and bye "
for all the good help you have been!
Thank you for that... but I have my doubts! LOL :eek::oops::)

Glad you got online okay! Enjoy your Linux!

Staff online