Bandwidth Limit on Linux

G

Godric

I just wanted to know if there is a way for us to limit the bandwidth usage from your Linux with out using any special tools? Example, I would put the 50% of my bandwidth for downloading and the other 50% for browsing.

S

Stefano Messicano

Linux kernel 2.2 (and above) provides bandwidth management functionality compatible to high-end (dedicated) hardware solution. Linux does offer bandwidth management capability with tc command-line utility, with iptables and iproute2 packages.

A

Akendo

Have you any solution or do you maybe need help? Would be nice to get some update about this.

so far and good luck
akendo

D

Darwin

Linux kernel 2.2 (and above) provides bandwidth management functionality compatible to high-end (dedicated) hardware solution. Linux does offer bandwidth management capability with tc command-line utility, with iptables and iproute2 packages.
This ^ Stefano got in there before me. It is important to keep a track of your bandwidth usage also, it is a pain when you start using bandwidth in multiple roles and find your usage is being siphoned off where it is not overly needed.

F

Famous

If you want to limit bandwidth, just use the option in whm.

E

ebildude123

You can give trickle a try, but it's pretty old. You can find that with a quick Google search.
linux.die.net/man/8/tc could be a better solution, try that out.

Members online

Latest posts