avahi registers and withdraws same address minutes apart repeatedly

z7vl7abxc

Reaction score
Credits
just to make it clear from the outset, none of the following seems to affect my connectivity. i began tracking it because of the increase in log activity.

a couple of weeks ago i noticed some new log traffic from avahi-daemon. at least one ipv6 address (sometimes two) will be registered and then withdrawn about a minute later. anywhere from one to two minutes later that same address (or addresses) is registered again and the process continues over and over throughout a boot session.

this happens on all of my linux systems whether connected by ethernet or wifi coming from the same access point (from my isp) that is also a router. i have systems running mint 20 and 21 xfce as well as mx linux 21 xfce. on the mx systems i have only seen one address that this affects. on the mint systems it is sometimes one or two.

i noticed the mint 20 system got some kind of avahi package update after this started, but otherwise i made no changes to any settings. other than making sure each system can access my personal ssid, i don't make any other network changes to a stock setup. the isp's ap/router sometimes has an issue staying connected to my phone and tablet (both android), but i don't notice any issues when streaming or web browsing on my linux systems.

since the messages all occur within at least one second (most are simultaneous) across all systems, i figured this might be coming from the router/ap. to further that theory, i switched one system to an unsecured public wifi ssid (my personal wifi is secured) and the messages stopped. i did note that the ip addresses i got from the public wifi were different in case that makes any difference. all systems have different uptimes so something seems to sync the activity.

the mx address shows up in ip address output as
fd94*<redacted>/64 scope global dynamic noprefixroute
valid_lft 1700sec preferred_lft 0sec
when the address is withdrawn "deprecated" is added before dynamic.

the mint address(es) show up as
fd94*<redacted>/64 scope global temporary dynamic
valid_lft 1777sec preferred_lft 0sec
fd94*<redacted>/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute
they also get "deprecated" added when the address is withdrawn.

today all addresses on all systems start with fd94. i hadn't noticed that other days. the valid_lft can vary but is usually in the 1700 range. the preferred_lft can vary between 0 to the 1700 range. following along with iftop output, it looks like there is mdns traffic that happens around the time of the registration and withdrawal, but i don't know if that is at all related.

i found this page where an older answer says might be an issue with using the .local domain: https://askubuntu.com/questions/718...ithdraws-address-record-causing-network-failu

on both sets of systems i do see avahi log messages along these lines
avahi-daemon[2471]: Server startup complete. Host name is <hostname>.local. Local service cookie is 2860907044.

according to man avahi-daemon.conf on all affected systems:
domain-name= Set the default domain name avahi-daemon tries to register its host name and
services on the LAN in. If omitted defaults to ".local".
plus, before a couple of weeks ago that seems to have worked just fine so i'm not sure changing it is the correct approach.

there's another (newer) answer on that page that says it is something to do with a privacy setting and suggests disabling logging for those messages.

before i try to change my domain or suppress logging, i thought i would check and see if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions. thanks in advance.

update 2023.07.07 - about a week after i made this post, the activity returned to what it was previously. i suppose that's its own kind of solution, but will leave this open for now in case anyone has any thoughts.

Last edited:

Members online