ASCII

redcrazykid

Reaction score
Credits
So I was wondering if you make a huge ocean with letters and symbols, would you be able to zoom out the those characters change, as you move the mouse scroller?

And then make like proof that fish have babies in the ocean? And then scroll in on them to see if they really were pregnant in letters and symbols?

Welcome to the forums.

It is possible to get ASCII art that way but you would have to arrange it. However it's impossible to zoom into these characters, for example, every bit as much as trying to do it into a terminal.

A trick is required, such as being on a computer system with 4K screen and drawing letters such that it deceives as if the screen were from a small laptop instead. This is to be able to zoom in and see other stuff. When I was younger, I saw somebody using a payware vector graphics program, a lot like Inkscape. The person was able to zoom into the picture at many levels, able to add details which cannot be seen if zoomed to see the whole picture.

I don't know if you are into fractals but what you are seeking might be close to this:

It's fun and customizable.

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question and @wendy-lebaron has a good answer.

I would only add that based on your "huge ocean of letters and symbols", that yes you can make ASCII art that you can zoom into if the quantity of characters to perspective is sufficiently large.

Each character would represent a "pixel", and if you had "an ocean" of characters (20k x 20k) and were zoomed very far out to the point that identifying each individual ASCII character would not be identifiable. Then yes, you can zoom in to where say only 600x800 characters were visible to see more intimate details of your ASCII art.

Obviously, this cannot be done on a terminal without a higher end graphical interface to render the ASCII in this manner (like a Terminal emulated in KDE/Gnome), or an immensely large terminal screen (ie, 20k x 20k) and you move physically closer or further away from a specific set of pixels on the terminal screen.

Or for example, what if the letter V, was made out of a bunch of V's? And the program using to simulate the original V would know to display a multilayer text file, that represents each level the person zooms in on. So that it does really change the letters and symbols when you zoom into the picture. Also, which physics, the file would also be programmed to make the symbols bump into eachother with each one having specific properties. So as in if you take a picture of the ocean, and go to one of those websites where they turn it into ASCII for you, but then they make it into a movie...

So I wrote this code to show you before I get into the main point of why I started this topic. It's supposed to be saved as an HTML file.

Code:
<html>
 <head>
  <title>NTD</title>
  <style>
BODY { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; color: #000; }
  </style>
 </head>
 <body>

<script>
try {
jrecord = false;
jrecorda = new Array();
document.body.onmousedown = function() {
 jrecord = true;
}
document.body.onmouseup = function() {
 jrecord = false;
 for(a = 0;a < jrecorda.length;a++) {
  var jd = document.createElement('DIV');
  jd.style.background = '#000000';
  jd.style.width = '4px';
  jd.style.height = '4px';
  jd.style.padding = '0px';
  jd.style.position = 'absolute';
  jd.style.left = Math.floor(jrecorda[a].split(' ')[0]) + 'px';
  jd.style.top = Math.floor(jrecorda[a].split(' ')[1]) + 'px';
  jd.innerHTML = '&nbsp;';
  document.body.appendChild(jd);
 }
 jrecorda = new Array();
}
document.body.onmousemove = function() {
 if(jrecord) {
  jrecorda[jrecorda.length] = event.pageX + ' ' + event.pageY;
 }
}
}
catch(errmsg) {
 alert(errmsg);
}
</script>

</body>
</html>

Note that on older computers it will probably freeze and you'll have to keep clicking the "Keep Running Script" alert.

Oh
What's it's for is to prove that you can use JavaScript to create pictures. You have to click the mouse and start drawing, and then let go of the mouse. But I figured this forum was so advanced, they saw "onmousedown" and knew what it was for.

Staff online