Solved aptitude search output meaning

Solved issue

CaffeineAddict

Reaction score
Credits
Here is output of my search for installed winehq and wine for which I use winehq repo

Bash:
aptitude search wine-staging
p   wine-staging                                   - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      
i A wine-staging:i386                              - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      
c   wine-staging-amd64                             - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      
p   wine-staging-dbg                               - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      
p   wine-staging-dbg:i386                          - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      
p   wine-staging-dev                               - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      
p   wine-staging-dev:i386                          - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      
v   wine-staging-i386                              -                                                        
i A wine-staging-i386:i386                         - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      

aptitude search winehq-staging
i   winehq-staging                                 - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs      
p   winehq-staging:i386

What do these letters at the left mean? p, i, A, c and v
Are there any other letters that I might see in the future?
And is there some docs that explain them all?

Last edited:

The man page for aptitude search gives a brief explanation:
Unless you pass the -F option, the output of aptitude search will look something like this:i apt - Advanced front-end for dpkg
pi apt-build - frontend to apt to build, optimize and in
cp apt-file - APT package searching utility -- command-
ihA raptor-utils - Raptor RDF Parser utilities
Each search result is listed on a separate line. The first character of each line indicates the current state of the package: the most common states arep, meaning that no trace of the package exists on the system, c, meaning that the package was deleted but its configuration files remain on thesystem, i, meaning that the package is installed, and v, meaning that the package is virtual. The second character indicates the stored action(if any; otherwise a blank space is displayed) to be performed on the package, with the most common actions being i, meaning that the package will beinstalled, d, meaning that the package will be deleted, and p, meaning that the package and its configuration files will be removed. If the thirdcharacter is A, the package was automatically installed.
For a complete list of the possible state and action flags, see the section "Accessing Package Information" in the aptitude reference guide.

The aptitude manual from Debian gives more detail. It looks like there can be up to 4 characters on each line to indicate the status of each search result.

Members online

Latest posts