Any pfSense pros out there?

truckerDave

Reaction score
Credits
I'm trying to set mine up so I can do admin duties to PCs on other VLANs.

Right now I have 3 VLANs going.

PC1 on DMPC (Mint)
PC2 on SHPC (Mint)
PC3 on SERV (Ubuntu Server)

I need to be able to access SHPC and SERV from DMPC. I've been working on connecting to SERV. I have tried all kinds of firewall rules. Also, I have added a UFW rule on PC3 to allow traffic from the IP of PC1. Yet, no matter what rules I put in pfSense, I cannot ping PC3 from PC1.

I want to say this is something that should be possible. But maybe it isn't.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

And as I am sitting here thinking about how to convey this issue, I'm thinking that maybe my VLAN aware switch might be able to do what I want without getting the pfSense firewall involved? I will have to look into that. I'm pretty new to all this. So, my mind is going in 7 different directions trying to figure this out.

I'm not a Pfsense pro, I use OPNsense but I'm not a pro with that either.

If you put PC1 in the default LAN which is the physical LAN you should be able to connect to your servers(PC2 and PC3) without having to open any firewall rules on Pfsense itself. The only thing you then would have to do is open the ssh port for your PC1 on the local firewall of those servers. If PC1, PC2 and PC3 are in different vlan's you will have to create firewall rules in the vlan of PC2 and PC3 to allow PC1 to connect to them and then open the ssh port in the local firewalls of PC2 and PC3 as well.

Last edited:
I'm not a Pfsense pro, I use OPNsense but I'm not a pro with that either.

If you put PC1 in the default LAN which is the physical LAN you should be able to connect to your servers(PC2 and PC3) without having to open any firewall rules on Pfsense itself. The only thing you then would have to do is open the ssh port for your PC1 on the local firewall of those servers. If PC1, PC2 and PC3 are in different vlan's you will have to create firewall rules in the vlan of PC2 and PC3 to allow PC1 to connect to them and then open the ssh port in the local firewalls of PC2 and PC3 as well.
That makes perfectly good sense! Thank you. And thank you for explaining it in a way my sore brain can comprehend :)

It'll have to wait til next weekend for me to try it out. But I will.

It'll have to wait til next weekend for me to try it out. But I will.
But not to mess with your Firewall if you are remote now and do have access.

Staff online

Members online