Advice on Linux that suits my needs for Macbook Pro.

N

nightscreams

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro retina. Not real happy with general performance or battery life considering all I do is browse the web. It has several dozen things running all the time like voice to text stuff and things I don't use but I can't disable them permanently and all combined, they consume all 8 gigs and goes into swapping as well. I have practically no 3rd party apps installed either. It stutters at times also. Why I dunno nor care...I suspect memory leak but whatever, reformat didn't help. Not real big on the user interface either. Yosemite just isn't for me.

I am looking into something that is lighter, simple and hopefully provide better battery life. Preferably doesn't need much memory so I can keep buffer room for applications. I prefer things to be snappy but I would also like to keep 2 and 3 finger swap gestures like OSX has since I rely completely on the trackpad.

What do I use laptop for?
1. Web browsing 95% of the time. Youtube, internet radio...etc.
2. Moving or managing files from USB drives and SD cards.
3. Access android phone via USB so I can put music on it.
4. Simple Picture viewer

What I do NOT use it for nor want.
1. social networking, IM's..etc
2. voice to text's, recording audio, mixing, stream to other devices, access other computers remotely..etc.
3. Anything that requires much command lines or sudo apt this and that.

My requirements
1. Trackpad gestures such as zooming, application switching, rotating...etc
2. A good file manager since I spend some time on there.
3. A quick to access, yet simple UI...I did like how Gnome 3's UI works.
4. Good audio output and quick WiFi access.
5. I like to work with apps in full screen mode and swap between them using finger swipes.
6. I would like to keep some of the keyboard functions like keyboard light or screen dimming if possible.

I have some mild experience with Linux but I dislike the command line and as for UI's, I did like Gnome 3 but mostly I just want something that doesn't have a ton of crap loaded in the background. A simple UI for launching applications..anything that helps battery life. Any suggestions?

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro retina. Not real happy with general performance or battery life considering all I do is browse the web. It has several dozen things running all the time like voice to text stuff and things I don't use but I can't disable them permanently and all combined, they consume all 8 gigs and goes into swapping as well. I have practically no 3rd party apps installed either. It stutters at times also. Why I dunno nor care...I suspect memory leak but whatever, reformat didn't help. Not real big on the user interface either. Yosemite just isn't for me.

I am looking into something that is lighter, simple and hopefully provide better battery life. Preferably doesn't need much memory so I can keep buffer room for applications. I prefer things to be snappy but I would also like to keep 2 and 3 finger swap gestures like OSX has since I rely completely on the trackpad.

What do I use laptop for?
1. Web browsing 95% of the time. Youtube, internet radio...etc.
2. Moving or managing files from USB drives and SD cards.
3. Access android phone via USB so I can put music on it.
4. Simple Picture viewer

What I do NOT use it for nor want.
1. social networking, IM's..etc
2. voice to text's, recording audio, mixing, stream to other devices, access other computers remotely..etc.
3. Anything that requires much command lines or sudo apt this and that.

My requirements
1. Trackpad gestures such as zooming, application switching, rotating...etc
2. A good file manager since I spend some time on there.
3. A quick to access, yet simple UI...I did like how Gnome 3's UI works.
4. Good audio output and quick WiFi access.
5. I like to work with apps in full screen mode and swap between them using finger swipes.
6. I would like to keep some of the keyboard functions like keyboard light or screen dimming if possible.

I have some mild experience with Linux but I dislike the command line and as for UI's, I did like Gnome 3 but mostly I just want something that doesn't have a ton of crap loaded in the background. A simple UI for launching applications..anything that helps battery life. Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be Linux Mint 17.1. The GUI is either Cinnamon or XFCE. Download the ISO and boot it using that first to see if your graphics, networking and USB will work. If all works, then you're pretty safe to install. That's the route I would go and I'll leave that up to you.

Regards
Jim

I thought Mint was a heavier more rounded OS to appeal to the masses like OSX and Windows? Does it have a lot of background tasks by default? I just need to use web browsers and do very basic tasks. I don't even use Wallpaper.
I want something similar to what Moblin used to be...minus the social networking stuff.

I tried a live usb just to see how Mint felt but the WiFi doesn't work. That's kind of a top priority I suppose. Any other suggestions?

Well, Mint is full of drivers/firmwares. If your wifi didn't work with it, you will probably have the same problem with Ubuntu and most of its derivatives.

Manjaro's kernel is always younger, this also rises your chances of hardware compatibility apart from the right firmwares/drivers. See if this OS works for you.

That link says Manjoro's homepage is broken. lol wow. No wonder Linux isn't more common place among regular users.
So is there someway to integrate those drivers or obtain them somehow? I can't do anything without WiFi.

That link says Manjoro's homepage is broken. lol wow. No wonder Linux isn't more common place among regular users.
What? Did you read the post at Manjaro's site? Actually, only Wordpress was hacked:
We are sorry to inform you guys, that our Wordpress page got broken due some Hacker attacks at manjaro.org. This action never affected our source code at github, our mirrors, our wiki, the READ MORE

...meaning you could have still downloaded Manjaro. It had nothing to do with Linux going less user-friendly.

Actually, GNU/Linux has become increasingly user friendly among regular users through the years. That's why I started using it in the first place, I could easily boot Ubuntu, a fully operational OS, from an USB flash drive when my laptop hdd stopped working.

No other OS would allow me to "burn" an ISO to a flash drive with a full blown operating system working out of the box.

So is there someway to integrate those drivers or obtain them somehow? I can't do anything without WiFi.
As I said, try manjaro. Download the X86_64 iso, I believe... Tell us your laptop model number for a more accurate guess.

Yes, there are ways to obtain and integrate drivers when a device doesn't work without issues, generally.

And what are those ways?
For Manjaro ( and other Arch based Linux distributions) you install the drivers from the AUR.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro11,x#Wireless

Basically you need the Broadcoml drivers:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl-dkms/

While the above pages are for Arch Linux they will work fine for Manjaro as well. If you are new to Linux then Manjaro is a good place to start (for Macbooks at least) I still prefer recommending Ubuntu for new users.

If you like GNOME then look at the GNOME spin of Manjaro:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/man...14.02/manjaro-gnome-0.8.9-x86_64.iso/download

And I just want to mention that GNOME 3 on my Arch rig rarely goes over 1Gb of ram by itself. With Opera, spotify, steam, a bunch of tweaks, and GNOME 3 running I am using 2.6 Gb of ram. You should be good with 8 GB. ;)

Last edited:
If all else fails try yellow dog linux which is a linux distribution for mac. Don't worry about the extra things you don't want. Linux can uninstall or disable those things you don't want.

Hey Dude !
Your idea is great and most of the time i use my macbook for the purpose of writing content and some time also use for browsing Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts