Added 2nd User

M

madman

Am running ubuntu 12.04 with Chrome browser and just added a second user, when I shift to other user Chrome doesn't appear in the dashboard. Does Chrome need to be download to the 2nd users desktop or is there a way to made it appear there since it is already installed on the machine?

(Had to read this a few times. There's Google Dashboard and there's Unity Dashboard. There's add a second Ubuntu user and there's add a second Chrome user...)

Assuming you've added a second Ubuntu user and it doesn't appear in Ubuntu dashboard.

From the second user's account try the Terminal and issue the command: google-chrome

If it appears you need to manually add the application to the Dash. http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/11/how-to-add-applications-manually-to.html

I suppose it's possible that you installed Chrome just for the one user. Depends on how you did the install...

@GrumpyOldMan My recollection is that Chrome/Chromium cannot be run as Root. I think they are meant to be for one user only. That is not to say that they cannot be run by more than one individual differently.

I'm thinking that when running an install script as root, the binaries get put into an area accessible by all users, but when installing as user, they get installed as accessible only by that particular user, either in the user's home file system, or with just that user as owner in the system tree.

Yes, they don't run as root, but can be installed as root. That said, I don't remember how I installed chromium (I only use it when I have to monitor the tech support chat line, thankfully only once per week.)

Thanks to all for responding. To clear things up a bit (maybe), I added new user to ubuntu and chrome did not appear in unity dash. Following arochester's post I now have chrome in both user dashboards. However, it looks like chrome no longer works well with my install, This has nothing to do with second user as it was messed up before the addition. Chrome now has fuzzy type fonts, bad video rendering and weird coloration. If anyone wants to hear more about Chrome issues, let me know and I'll start another thread. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for responding. To clear things up a bit (maybe), I added new user to ubuntu and chrome did not appear in unity dash. Following arochester's post I now have chrome in both user dashboards. However, it looks like chrome no longer works well with my install, This has nothing to do with second user as it was messed up before the addition. Chrome now has fuzzy type fonts, bad video rendering and weird coloration. If anyone wants to hear more about Chrome issues, let me know and I'll start another thread. Thanks again.
I would recommend using Chromium. The Opensource version of Chrome. Much easier to setup and use.
Code:
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser pepperflashplugin-nonfree
Code:
sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install
This will install chromium and Chromiums version of Pepperflash (which is included with Chrome)

Members online