A Long List of Linux Distributions

One you might like to take a look at if you haven't tried it is 4M Linux.

4MLinux is a small, independent, general-purpose Linux distribution with a strong focus on the following four "M" of computing:
  • Maintenance (system rescue Live CD),
  • Multimedia (full support for a huge number of image, audio and video formats),
  • Miniserver (DNS, FTP, HTTP, MySQL, NFS, Proxy, SMTP, SSH, and Telnet),
  • Mystery (meaning a collection of classic Linux games).

They've been around for around 10 years or more.

System Requirements

Note:
The minimum requirements for 4MLinux (64-bit) are:
  • 128 MB of RAM when 4MLinux is installed to a HDD,
  • 1500 MB of RAM when 4MLinux is run as a live CD/USB.

The minimum requirements for 4MServer (64-bit) are:
  • 256 MB of RAM when 4MServer is installed to a HDD,
  • 3000 MB of RAM when 4MServer is run as a live CD/USB.

No 32-bit as far as I am aware.

Wiz

If there is no 32-bit version then it defeats the purpose of a light weight OS with low system requirements. I've got AntiX that will do. I have my 3 Linux Distros on the ASUS 901 now which are Puppy in the SD card slot and TinyCore on the built in drive and AntiX on the MMC drive. I'm pretty happy with that setup.

I haven't heard of 4M Linux for a decade or more. I remember burning it to CD then the OS not starting up into the desktop so I never gave it a second thought since. The new one looks good so I'm going to download it and give it a try at some other time on a 64-bit machine.

Last edited:
One you might like to take a look at if you haven't tried it is 4M Linux.

They've been around for around 10 years or more.
Be forewarned that the ISO for this operating system does not make nice with Ventoy. Its install script is hard-coded to erase and copy to "/dev/sda" which is naturally what stopped me.

Aah, thanks for sharing that Wendy.

The last time I looked at it (some years ago) it had a limitation that it could only support 15 partitions, so no good for me at that time.

I had thought that when I get my next computer (next 12 months) I could put it on first and have a play with it, expecting that when I got to Partition 16 it might fall over.

I'll keep that in mind.

Wizard

I like both Yumi and Ventoy because of ease to add/remove iso's.
But after a few failed installs I start to loose faith in Ventoy, back to Yumi - Windows 7 :eek:

I keep forgetting to advise about this one, for the ones who are truly adventurous. I'm thinking about diving in because it looks easy to get "multilib" and Wine on it.

On a different thread about beginners wanting an OS that looks like Windows, I was going to recommend Kumander, quite a new distro from Philippines based on Debian, but it's 64-bit only.

Members online

Latest posts