3 partitions?

Bobbitz

Reaction score
Credits
I have a dual-boot PC with XP/Win7. I have Linux on a stick on the 7 side. I would like to install it because it's fast--and I want to learn more. If I install on that side (Win7) will it overwrite 7 or create a third partition? I'm hoping for the latter.

You are wanting to 'dual boot' with Windows7, it can be done but not quite straight forward, you have to shrink the Windows partition first, to gain space to install Linux - lots of info online about how to do this.

You are wanting to 'dual boot' with Windows7, it can be done but not quite straight forward, you have to shrink the Windows partition
Not necessarily if the OP choses a distribution that has in built partitioning that offers to "INSTALL ALONGSIDE" it will do the job for them,

Ah, OK, I didn't know that was an option these days - I left Windows a looong time ago - thanks for the correction. :)

I left Windows a looong time ago
Me too, but I still have to fix the families MS machines when they go wrong [It's usually a more janitorial service getting rid of all the crud]