Corel Video Editor

InvaderSumo

Reaction score
Credits
Does anybody know of any really good video editor software for Linux that is free, or any free video editors which we can gain access to a free license for?
For example how to install Corel Video Studio on Debian?

OpenShot Video Editor is pretty good - https://www.openshot.org/

It comes as an AppImage

Flowblade is good as well - https://jliljebl.github.io/flowblade/index.html
which is available in the repository well it is in Debian's anyway
1.png

Last edited:
Openshot, flowblade, or Kdenlive are probably your best bets. All quite powerful free video editors.

If you have Blender installed, Openshot can use Blender to create 2D/3D animated title sequences from text, which you can use for opening/closing credits, or for captions. That’s a pretty nifty feature.

You specify the text to use and set up the parameters for the animation in Openshot. Then Openshot will open Blender, load an animation template, send the parameters to the chosen animation and then gets Blender to render the animation, which is then imported into the library for your openshot project as a clip.

If you have experience with Blender and Python, after examining some of the existing templates, you can also create your own custom animation templates for use in Openshot, which you can then use in your projects.

Blender itself can also be used as an extremely powerful non-linear video editor, but it’s got quite a complicated, non-obvious work flow. But the other three programs are pretty intuitive to use.

They might look a little bland, but they are all fully featured editors.

In the past, I’ve used a mixture of all four of the named programs to edit videos.

@InvaderSumo :-

Depends on what your definition IS of "really good video editor software". As JasKinasis says above, those 3 - Openshot, Flowblade & KDEnlive - are going to be the most obvious candidates. Personally, I don't like Flowblade and /or KDEnlive.......I've been using Openshot for some years, and it does what I want; it's easy-to-use, and it's fuss-free in operation.

yeah but its kind of bland...

Do bear in mind that a ton of complicated extra features doesn't necessarily make something better. There's a lot to be said for the K.I.S.S principle, y'know?

Then there's Cinelerra 'GG' Infinity ( something of a learning-curve with this one! ).......and there is also Lightworks, which has taken-over as my main 'project' editor now. This is rather like a cross between Openshot & KDEnlive on super-steroids, along with a much nicer interface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Corel's site clearly states it's for Windows ONLY.....and the only free stuff you'll get from them are time-limited trials. And their stuff doesn't play at all nice with any of the Windows emulation stuff.....not even WINE itself.

Waste of time as far as I'm concerned. Like most software houses, they're all about making money.......and Windows is by far the biggest market out there.

You've gotta drop the Windoze mind-set.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

IF you're feeling very brave, there's DaVinci Resolve.....but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're the type that really relishes an uphill struggle! Just as on Windows, it requires a powerful, top-end, discrete GPU running the very newest official drivers, you MUST always be on the newest version of your OS.....and this one will only run under particular distros anyway. Until a couple of years ago, it could be installed elsewhere without TOO much hassle.....but it now only comes as a .run file, PLUS it really expects to find itself hooked-up to a small fortune in BlackMagic Design's own hyper-expensive recording studio hardware. NOT for beginners, this one..!!

(I'll stick with Openshot for day-to-day stuff, and Lightworks for bigger projects, thank you very much. The latter does pretty much everything DaVinci does, is simpler to use & is a lot less hassle to install.....)

DON'T expect to be able to run any of Adobe's stuff, or Final Cut 'Pro'.....or anything like that. These are complete non-starters under Linux. Literally!!

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Blender (the 3d design software) includes a powerful video editor, check it out, it is free and in the Debian repositories

Blender (the 3d design software) includes a powerful video editor, check it out, it is free and in the Debian repositories
i like blender for the 3d sculpting, ive seen some pretty awesome videos and tbh im pretty sure i could make some money with it as long as my work was on point.

Depends on what your definition IS of "really good video editor software". As JasKinasis says above, those 3 - Openshot, Flowblade & KDEnlive - are going to be the most obvious candidates. Personally, I don't like Flowblade and /or KDEnlive.......I've been using Openshot for some years, and it does what I want; it's easy-to-use, and it's fuss-free in operation.

Do bear in mind that a ton of complicated extra features doesn't necessarily make something better. There's a lot to be said for the K.I.S.S principle, y'know?

Then there's Cinelerra 'GG' Infinity ( something of a learning-curve with this one! ).......and there is also Lightworks, which has taken-over as my main 'project' editor now. This is rather like a cross between Openshot & KDEnlive on super-steroids, along with a much nicer interface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Corel's site clearly states it's for Windows ONLY.....and the only free stuff you'll get from them are time-limited trials. And their stuff doesn't play at all nice with any of the Windows emulation stuff.....not even WINE itself.

Waste of time as far as I'm concerned. Like most software houses, they're all about making money.......and Windows is by far the biggest market out there.

You've gotta drop the Windoze mind-set.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

IF you're feeling very brave, there's DaVinci Resolve.....but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're the type that really relishes an uphill struggle! Just as on Windows, it requires a powerful, top-end, discrete GPU running the very newest official drivers, you MUST always be on the newest version of your OS.....and this one will only run under particular distros anyway. Until a couple of years ago, it could be installed elsewhere without TOO much hassle.....but it now only comes as a .run file, PLUS it really expects to find itself hooked-up to a small fortune in BlackMagic Design's own hyper-expensive recording studio hardware. NOT for beginners, this one..!!

(I'll stick with Openshot for day-to-day stuff, and Lightworks for bigger projects, thank you very much. The latter does pretty much everything DaVinci does, is simpler to use & is a lot less hassle to install.....)

DON'T expect to be able to run any of Adobe's stuff, or Final Cut 'Pro'.....or anything like that. These are complete non-starters under Linux. Literally!!

Mike. ;)
Im downloading lwks now lmaooo... if i make something cool ill post it. im still learning blender tho

In fact, thinking about it, the sole Windows-only video-editor I've ever found that actually "plays nice" with WINE is VideoPad, from NCH Software. And despite that it does exactly what you'd expect it to, many will refuse to have anything to do with apps from NCH Software.

Many will liken it to "pseudo-malware", due to the ridiculous amount of 'hooks' it puts into the OS.....AND the fact that when you try to uninstall it, it won't remove cleanly & leaves far too much of itself behind. At least when you run Windows stuff under WINE, it's easy to get shot of.....all you do is delete your WINE 'profile' in your /home/username directory, and start again.

Mike.
hat-tip5.gif

In fact, thinking about it, the sole Windows-only video-editor I've ever found that actually "plays nice" with WINE is VideoPad, from NCH Software. And despite that it does exactly what you'd expect it to, many will refuse to have anything to do with apps from NCH Software.

Many will liken it to "pseudo-malware", due to the ridiculous amount of 'hooks' it puts into the OS.....AND the fact that when you try to uninstall it, it won't remove cleanly & leaves far too much of itself behind. At least when you run Windows stuff under WINE, it's easy to get shot of.....all you do is delete your WINE 'profile' in your /home/username directory, and start again.

Mike.
hat-tip5.gif
I like lightworks

Members online

Latest posts