Mozilla Drops Onerep After CEO Admits to Running People-Search Networks

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
Ask me why I place no trust in Firefox?....this is why. They have obviously done no research/due diligence to establish if what they are including in their app is kosher/safe/up to standard..... before just going ahead and doing so.

/

The nonprofit organization that supports the Firefox web browser said today it is winding down its new partnership with Onerep, an identity protection service recently bundled with Firefox that offers to remove users from hundreds of people-search sites. The move comes just days after a report by KrebsOnSecurity forced Onerep’s CEO to admit that he has founded dozens of people-search networks over the years.

Mozilla Monitor. Image Mozilla Monitor Plus video on Youtube.
Mozilla only began bundling Onerep in Firefox last month, when it announced the reputation service would be offered on a subscription basis as part of Mozilla Monitor Plus. Launched in 2018 under the name Firefox Monitor, Mozilla Monitor also checks data from the website Have I Been Pwned? to let users know when their email addresses or password are leaked in data breaches.

On March 14, KrebsOnSecurity published a story showing that Onerep’s Belarusian CEO and founder Dimitiri Shelest launched dozens of people-search services since 2010, including a still-active data broker called Nuwber that sells background reports on people. Onerep and Shelest did not respond to requests for comment on that story.

Read On.

Your bit in your signature about crossover music, along with the arrows, don't actually point at anything.

They're not a link.

Also, amusingly, there exists a subset of Linux users who will look down on you if you use anything but Firefox.

Though this may not have caused any harm it certainly looks bad. They obviously didn't do due diligence.

No link....Thank you !....Fixed now

A for the subset that look down on me if i fail to use Firefox......if they are still that foolish after presumably gaining experience with Linux....so be it. It's their funeral.
They obviously didn't do due diligence.
If that fact is multiplied countless times throughout the development of firefox ....I feel almost sorry for those "who look down on me "
I am still having a chuckle over that !!

I am still having a chuckle over that !!

I do have Firefox installed and will use it from time to time. I use straight up Google Chrome so I'm obviously in bed with the enemy (from their perspective).

I'd suggest folks use what makes them happy.

Members online