Cogent Computer Systems CSB703 / CSB733 SBC

gtwitty

Reaction score
Credits
I acquired a single board computer made by Cogent Computer Systems, circa 2008. The development board, or “baseboard“ is a CSB703, with a CSB733 CPU module. I can’t seem to find any useful documentation to operate it. It has a 4.3” LCD touchpad, sockets for CF & an SD card. I think it will run Linux, not sure which version,or exactly how it boots, I assume through the CF or SD socket.

When I apply 12v, the screen lights with a few logos, but nothing more.

Seems the company died, and took most of of the documents with them. This was a fairly expensive item 15 years ago, trying to decide if I should keep it to play with, or stop wasting time and get rid of it. I know a little about building PCs from years ago, and would love to learn about single board computing, starting to think I should start off with something simpler and widely supported.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 381

Welcome
I can tell you a little, the motherboard was designed for low power embedded systems TV/set top boxes and the like, it could run 16 bit and 32 bit depending on the CPU. Yours has a 32 bit Arm 11 core model ARM1136J(F)-S,
IMO, go to the nearest window, open the window, and chuck it as far as you can.

Moved to Single Board Computers sub-forum.
Oh-Kay, so it’s worth what I paid for it (zee-ro), was hoping it would be useful as a learning tool, maybe use it for a night light, then chuck it, thanks for the info.

What would you recommend for starting out learning SBCs, would like to end up with something to remote control a gate via WiFi, or go in another direction and build a retro arcade emulator.

What would you recommend for starting out learning SBCs, would like to end up with something to remote control a gate via WiFi, or go in another direction and build a retro arcade emulator.

I'm the wrong person to ask. I was just moving it to a more correct sub-forum. We have some SBC fans here, so maybe they can assist you.

I considered a smart gate and planned on using the Raspberry Pi for the task, but I never got around to it and I think I gave away the Pi boards to a kid that lives down the road. Someone asked if I still had them and I looked around without success. The missus tells me that I gave them away - and her memory is better than my own for this sort of stuff.

But, your post is now in the most-appropriate sub-forum. If there's any help here, it will be found in this section of the site.

Oh-Kay, so it’s worth what I paid for it (zee-ro), was hoping it would be useful as a learning tool, maybe use it for a night light, then chuck it, thanks for the info.

If you just want to switch other electrical circuits like power outlets or in your case a gate, you should do that with a microcontroller instead. It draws way less power than an SBC and is less complex to set up. Something like an arduino with wifi, or the pico w. The pico can be done in python, the other one in C.
If you want it to really be secure, you need to do some research. I only ever used it (the wireless part) to switch lights on and off. Which would be a good point to start anyway.
edit: a mictrocontroller is also way cheaper. It's easily replaced, should you mess up and destroy it in the process of messing around with it - which you will :)

If you wanna emulate stone age game machines, you'd need an SBC. I let a pi 4 do amiga stuff in the past, but that's rather expensive. Older models will work too though.

Hit me with a text if you have further questions...

edit 2: don't listen toi the other guy though and throw that thing you got away. he's used to get things done with magic and doesn't understand technology... ^^

Last edited:

I have been selling and working with raspberry Pi and it will do what you want. the problem is getting them without paying a scalper. I sell them in my shop fully set up with everything ready to go for $270. Now that includes the case, cooling fans. 256G MSD drive loaded with Fedora Linux 38, a power supply, Micro HDMI to Standard HDMI adapter, and everything configured and working. These are Pi 4b with 8G ram and dual mico HDMI.

I give you that information so you know if you are getting a good deal on one when you shop. I do not think the moderators would allow me to put my shop link on page though. Finding Pi's is not easy it took me over a year for the manufacturer to fill my order.

I do not think the moderators would allow me to put my shop link on page though.

You've been here long enough so that I have no objections to your doing so.

I speak for myself but there's a difference between someone sharing something and a spammer. A spammer has nothing invested and has not spent any time with the community.

Ideally, you'd buy an ad through @Rob.

But, assuming you're realistic about things and it's not you trying to take advantage of our members, I'd have no objection for you doing so. Again, the difference is the amount of energy you've put into the system. You're obviously not here to capitalize on a shop.

It's kinda like how we allow links to software, to sites, etc... We let those pass when they're legit members of the community.

I'll ping @wizardfromoz, to ensure we're on the same page. If the link fits, if the link is legitimately useful, and you're a member of the community first, I have no complaints. I see that as fair and just.

I was lucky and got a pi4 with 8gb before the rona hit for around 80 bucks. i was so tempted to sell it for more than double this amount. but then again, i also wanted to use it :D

I was lucky and got a pi4 with 8gb before the rona hit for around 80 bucks. i was so tempted to sell it for more than double this amount. but then again, i also wanted to use it :D
I just got a shipment in of pi4B 8gb but as I think I said I sell them at $270. However that is not just a board which should be $80. That is including 256G MSD, heat sinks, fans, case, power supply, HDMI adapter, preinstalled fedora 38 and everything ready to go just plug it in and go. The Pi's are great for so many things. People love the convenience. I considered scalping them like you considered but I can't live with myself doing that.

If you just want to switch other electrical circuits like power outlets or in your case a gate, you should do that with a microcontroller instead. It draws way less power than an SBC and is less complex to set up. Something like an arduino with wifi, or the pico w. The pico can be done in python, the other one in C.
If you want it to really be secure, you need to do some research. I only ever used it (the wireless part) to switch lights on and off. Which would be a good point to start anyway.
edit: a mictrocontroller is also way cheaper. It's easily replaced, should you mess up and destroy it in the process of messing around with it - which you will :)

If you wanna emulate stone age game machines, you'd need an SBC. I let a pi 4 do amiga stuff in the past, but that's rather expensive. Older models will work too though.

Hit me with a text if you have further questions...

edit 2: don't listen toi the other guy though and throw that thing you got away. he's used to get things done with magic and doesn't understand technology... ^^
A basic Stamp would work for that gate also, just add an external RF module and there you have it! If you use a WIFI module, you may be able to trigger the gate with your phone or tablet.

Members online