{SOLVED} Can't see shared printers

APTI

Reaction score
Credits
problem was found it is due to routing. Still can't get the routing to show what is needed but connection to printer no longer needed.

I am having an unusual problem. I can't get one of my new networked computers to connect to a shared printer.

This PC is connecting to one of the network printers but not others.

DETAILS:
problem computer is IP 192.168.10.* on fedora 38
printer that it connects to successfully is IP 10.10.10.250
computer 1 with printer shared IP 10.10.10.30 on fedora 38 with shared printer USB
computer 2 with printer shared IP 10.10.10.147 on fedora 37 with shared printer USB

The problem computer connects to one printer and works fine. This printer is directly connect to the network, The other printers are on share.

lpstat -e returns all printers shared on computer 1 and 2 however if run on the problem computer it only returns the 10.10.10.250 printer

I have been beating my head on this wasting 2 days trying to get the one to see the printers.

I have attempted normal share from CUPS and from system-config-printer it is visible to computer 1. I also set up samba to try to make it work and no go. as I said it is visible to computer 2. computer 1 and 2 see everything but the problem computer only sees the network printer that is directly on the network but not ones shared over pc.

Last edited:

In order for all the computers on a given subnet to be able to see a printer. They all have to be on that subnet.

I see that all of your computers that work are on the 10.10.10.x subnet.
The printer is also in the 10.10.10.x subnet.

However the computer that doesn't work, is in the 192.168.10.x subnet. That is normal expected behavior.
Can you put this computer in the 10.10.10.x subnet?

The other option is to put the printer in the 192.168.10.x subnet, but then the computers on the 10.10.10.x subnet can't see it.
If one of them is connected via USB cable, they can see it through the USB connection, but not the network connection.

You say two of the computers above are connected via USB cable, I'm not sure how you are doing this.
Through a USB hub/splitter?

In order for all the computers on a given subnet to be able to see a printer. They all have to be on that subnet.

I see that all of your computers that work are on the 10.10.10.x subnet.
The printer is also in the 10.10.10.x subnet.

However the computer that doesn't work, is in the 192.168.10.x subnet. That is normal expected behavior.
Can you put this computer in the 10.10.10.x subnet?

The other option is to put the printer in the 192.168.10.x subnet, but then the computers on the 10.10.10.x subnet can't see it.
If one of them is connected via USB cable, they can see it through the USB connection, but not the network connection.

You say two of the computers above are connected via USB cable, I'm not sure how you are doing this.
Through a USB hub/splitter?
You should have read the part where I mentioned this was solved. It was routing issues.
However I can't help but reply. You are wrong. computers in the 192.168.10.x can see everything in the 10.10.10.x because the 192.168.10.x router is daisy chained to the 10.10.10.x router. This mean anything on 192 will push up to 10.10 and that has been working for a while.
I thank you for the advice but the issue was solved a while ago.

You are wrong. computers in the 192.168.10.x can see everything in the 10.10.10.x because the 192.168.10.x router is daisy chained to the 10.10.10.x router.

This ONLY works if there is a router in between.

that is what daisy chained is. the 10.10 router IS between. if you plug router to router you get the ability to see everything upward in the chain but not down.
This ONLY works if there is a router in between.

Members online