Sigh..... Problems AGAIN after doing a reinstall of Kubuntu on my Chromebook.....

B

blackneos940

I've posted this question before, but was glad that it went unanswered, as I had re-installed it..... Long story short, I re-installed it again, though it's a moot point as to why....... :( I'll keep this short and sweet, and stuff....... :) Basically, I log in to Kubuntu after installing Enlightenment20 Desktop to be able to play Minecraft, since the Enlightenment Desktop is known for it's little usage of RAM, and I'm on it now..... I can log in to Kubuntu's KDE Desktop with the Guest Account, but with my Account, it takes FOREVER to Login..... :( Enlightenment, however, runs just FINE..... I have to say, that for whatever reason, using Linux on the Chromebook has been peppered with nosebleeds so bad I can only sit and stare at the screen, shed a tear, and say: "Time to re-install... Again.....".... :'( But it's been just FINE on even my old Inspiron..... The only real issue was Wi-Fi, and even THAT only required either Copying and Pasting some Terminal Commands, or simply using anyone's Ethernet Cable..... But this.... Uh-UH, NOPE. I. Am. NOT. Reinstalling again. :mad: *Sigh*..... Thanks for all your help, guys...... :( I mean it..... :(

If logging in via the guest account works fine, but you are having problems when logging into your account, it must be something to do with your account.
Either some personal settings, or some other programs/processes that are auto-starting.

I seem to remember from a previous post, that you said that this was happening when you changed the theme of the desktop. Changing the theme shouldn't really make much difference to the login time.

Have you got any large programs or processes that auto start when you log in? Or do you have a lot of widgets opening on the desktop? That can affect the time it takes for the desktop to load after log-in.

Also, when you log into KDE/Plasma using your account, is it set to restore a previous Plasma session, or is it set to start a completely new session?

If it is restoring a previous session rather than starting a new session, that could account for some slowness too. Because the desktop will be loading whatever applications were running the last time you logged out of plasma and attempting to restore the state they were in from data that is saved to disk....

After logging into a KDE/Plasma session and waiting for the desktop to load, I think the first thing you should do is open the system settings. Take a look at the 'session' settings in the 'startup and shutdown' category and ensure that you are starting a new session when you log-in.

Also, take a look in the 'service manager' settings in 'startup and shutdown' and see if there are any unneeded programs/services that are started when you log-in. Disable any that you do not need. e.g. On my laptop, I don't have any bluetooth hardware, so I've disabled the bluetooth related drivers/services (they used to auto-start by default in KDE).

Also try turning off the advanced desktop effects (just temporarily, I know you like your wobbly windows etc...) and remove any widgets that are on the desktop. If anything, it's most likely to be some heavyweight widgets on your desktop slowing things down. I don't think the desktop effects will have an impact on the desktops load time at login, but it couldn't hurt to try disabling them temporarily too to see what effect it has.

After all of that, try logging out and then log back in again. With any luck you should get to the desktop a little quicker!

If that doesn't improve things: As a last resort, you could try logging into an Enlightenment desktop session and then either remove or rename the .kde folder in your home folder. e.g. mv ~/.kde/ ~/oldKDESettings/

Then if you log out and log back into Plasma the system should recreate the .kde folder with default settings. This might take a little time, but if you log out and back in yet again, you should see some speed-up.
Then you will have to go back to the system settings and double check your session settings and the startup program settings etc. Then you can incrementally restore your preferred theme. Log out and back in again periodically to see if any of your changes have caused the login to slow down. It will be a pain in the backside logging in and out all the time, but it should allow you to pinpoint exactly which changes are causing login to slow down.
Once you know which things are causing the slow-down, you can simply avoid using them!

From personal experience, it is most likely to be session settings, or widgets on the desktop. Especially if they are non-plasma widgets, or if it is one of the more heavyweight plasma widgets!

Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas!

Last edited:
If logging in via the guest account works fine, but you are having problems when logging into your account, it must be something to do with your account.
Either some personal settings, or some other programs/processes that are auto-starting.

I seem to remember from a previous post, that you said that this was happening when you changed the theme of the desktop. Changing the theme shouldn't really make much difference to the login time.

Have you got any large programs or processes that auto start when you log in? Or do you have a lot of widgets opening on the desktop? That can affect the time it takes for the desktop to load after log-in.

Also, when you log into KDE/Plasma using your account, is it set to restore a previous Plasma session, or is it set to start a completely new session?

If it is restoring a previous session rather than starting a new session, that could account for some slowness too. Because the desktop will be loading whatever applications were running the last time you logged out of plasma and attempting to restore the state they were in from data that is saved to disk....

After logging into a KDE/Plasma session and waiting for the desktop to load, I think the first thing you should do is open the system settings. Take a look at the 'session' settings in the 'startup and shutdown' category and ensure that you are starting a new session when you log-in.

Also, take a look in the 'service manager' settings in 'startup and shutdown' and see if there are any unneeded programs/services that are started when you log-in. Disable any that you do not need. e.g. On my laptop, I don't have any bluetooth hardware, so I've disabled the bluetooth related drivers/services (they used to auto-start by default in KDE).

Also try turning off the advanced desktop effects (just temporarily, I know you like your wobbly windows etc...) and remove any widgets that are on the desktop. If anything, it's most likely to be some heavyweight widgets on your desktop slowing things down. I don't think the desktop effects will have an impact on the desktops load time at login, but it couldn't hurt to try disabling them temporarily too to see what effect it has.

After all of that, try logging out and then log back in again. With any luck you should get to the desktop a little quicker!

If that doesn't improve things: As a last resort, you could try logging into an Enlightenment desktop session and then either remove or rename the .kde folder in your home folder. e.g. mv ~/.kde/ ~/oldKDESettings/

Then if you log out and log back into Plasma the system should recreate the .kde folder with default settings. This might take a little time, but if you log out and back in yet again, you should see some speed-up.
Then you will have to go back to the system settings and double check your session settings and the startup program settings etc. Then you can incrementally restore your preferred theme. Log out and back in again periodically to see if any of your changes have caused the login to slow down. It will be a pain in the backside logging in and out all the time, but it should allow you to pinpoint exactly which changes are causing login to slow down.
Once you know which things are causing the slow-down, you can simply avoid using them!

From personal experience, it is most likely to be session settings, or widgets on the desktop. Especially if they are non-plasma widgets, or if it is one of the more heavyweight plasma widgets!

Long story short, it seems that none of that worked..... :( Before I installed Enlightenment, even WITH all those things during startup, it was STILL much faster than this..... :) But now, since installing e20, I've had this issue....... :( But here's something interesting I found..... :) After attempting to uninstall e20, to hopefully undo this, the Terminal told me to do "sudo dpkg --configure -a"..... :) Maybe it's a CLUE.....?? :3

Ok..... After some more fiddling around, I have some MORE updates..... Basically, I uninstalled e20, nuked .kde, and it started up normally (as expected, due to past issues, and running those Commands)..... :) But THIS time, after Rebooting, (just to be sure), and Logging back in, without changing a THING, it STILL took a long time to Log In!..... :eek: Well, I'm fairly certain that it has something to do with the .KDE folder..... :) The question is, WHAT.....?? :( The mystery deepens...... :3

Members online