Solved Resetting custom icons settings?

Solved issue

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
I'm thinking about changing my storage devices to letters similar to the way in Windows (/C, /D, /E and so on). Up until now I have always mounted them as /media/device-space, like /media/1000GB, for instance. But the terabytes that I have are beginning to run out and soon I will have to buy larger storages to replace the few of 1 TB. Changing the mount point will make things easier, if I ever have to buy an even larger storage. For the most part changing the mount point will work just fine. The problem is with the aforementioned /media/1000GB storage. If I change the mount point for that storage without resetting the custom icons settings, my panel will appear like a ghost, after the reboot because it won't be able to find the icons.

I don't know how to reset these settings. Will deleting the contents of ~/. local/share/applications be enough or is there something else to reset, in order to make all programs on the panel appear with their original icons?

Use Gnome-Disks. I am guessing it is available for Arch - I use Debian myself - but Highlight the drive on the left, unmount it by clicking the little black square below the graphic partition layout, then Click the 2 gears below the graphic partition layout and select Edit Filesystem. Erase current name and put your new name in. Try and use a short name without spaces. Dashes and underscores are okay.

That's not what I was asking + what you're talking about is called "Label filesystem". I need to change the moint point which is completely different. Changing the label filesystem doesn't require unmounting.
I guess I'll have to try with one of the secondary drives and see for myself if it works the way I'm hoping.

@wizardfromoz , you can delete this topic, if you have the rights. I managed to do the things I wanted. It took a little more than I expected, but I eventually did it and now I have my drives mounted as letters, similar to Windows, so there's no need for the topic to remain.
It's not that I'm a fan of Windows but that letter mounting can be universal, esp. if you change or plan to change storages often.

It's easier just to use an lvm or btrfs setup, that way you just add your new disk to the lvm or btrfs storage pool. If you use lvm then you can extend your logical volumes from that new space available and with btrfs you sub-volumes will see the newly available space. No need to created a new mount point for each new disk that way, keeps it much simpiler.
In short with lvm, you create a volume group consisting of physical disks and then from there you can create logical volumes and can add more disks to a volume group to use to expand your logical volumes. With btrfs it's the same, you can add multiple disk to your btrfs filesystem and then expand it which your btrfs sub-volumes can then use the space.

Last edited:
...so there's no need for the topic to remain.

Glad you got it sorted, but if you share with us what you did, others can benefit from it.

Don't forget to mark this thread with "Solved".

nYSKHvh.png

Cheers and Avagudweegend

Wiz

The solution was to write the new mount points in fstab, then replace /media/1000GB in all '.desktop' files from ~/. local/share/applications with the new mount point (which takes 5 seconds if done using Notepad++) and then reboot. I thought I'd have to search somewhere else, like in root, but apparently this was enough.

@feedmebits, that's not what I asked. I don't wanna create RAIDs, I only wanted to reset the icons settings because all the icons of programs are my own. I don't use the default ones for 90% of the software.

@feedmebits, that's not what I asked. I don't wanna create RAIDs, I only wanted to reset the icons settings because all the icons of programs are my own. I don't use the default ones for 90% of the software.
The way you phrased your question made it seem you create a new mount for each new disk that you add to your system and that you were wanting to find a way to mount those under /C /D etc. I wasn't talking about raid but about storage pools, so that you can put all disks in one storage pool and create one volume or multiple volumes from that, that way you wouldn't need a mount for each disk that you add to your system.

As for your for your personal customized icons, wouldn't it be just easier to just place them in your home directory under /home/raodo84/.local/share/icons, because most likely that location will never change. Or are you talking about that the paths will change when you add new disk with new mount points to your system? In that case you could just work with symlinks, just mount the new disks to a new location, sync your data from your old disk, unmount the old disk and the create a symlink with the name of the mount point of the old mount location with the source being the mount location of your disk mounted location.

Members online