questions before going full linux!

C

Cicero86

Questions from a windows user before turning to Linux:

I’ve installed and tried many distros before. But this time I wanna turn full-linux user. So here are my questions, to save your time.

I need free alternatives for:

1- Internet download manager. Preferably one that opens up a pop-up bar to download videos when captured.

2- Goldwave or a cool sound recorder software.

3- Any Video Converter/Format Factory.

4- Daemon Tools.

5- ZoneAlarm (Or other free alternatives, same degree of ease of use).

6- CCleaner or the like.

7- WinRaR.

If you have any comments or explanations, Please feel free to explain to me If there’s something I don’t understand about the mentality of Linux; the system itself.

Ccleaner not really needed as Linux has no registry as such and is way better at managing its filing system. Xarchiver for the last program.

I’ve installed and tried many distros before. But this time I wanna turn full-linux user. So here are my questions, to save your time.

1- Internet download manager. Preferably one that opens up a pop-up bar to download videos when captured.

4- Daemon Tools.

6- CCleaner or the like.

7- WinRaR.

If you have any comments or explanations, Please feel free to explain to me If there’s something I don’t understand about the mentality of Linux; the system itself.

My suggestions would be:

1) In Firefox get the plugin called "DOWNLOAD HELPER" and it will download Youtube, Dailymotion and other online video sites.

2) Audacity. Most if not all distros already has this in their allotted software managers.

3) FF Multi Converter. You can get this from http://www.noobslab.com/2014/08/ffmulticonverter-is-now-available-for.html.

5) I'd stick with the distro's version of a firewall. There's a GUI for UFW called GUFW which allows you to create rules and filters for the UFW firewall. Works rather nicely.

6) Since there's no registry in Linux, as stated before, this is not necessary. However if you want to clean all the junk that accumulates, I'd recommend "Bleachbit". There's a windows version of it as well which will do the same things. In fact,the windows version allows you to add more cleaning filters to it. It's very good and I recommend it about 100% of the time.

7) p7zip-rar. This is an extension of the 7z archiving program which would be an extension of archive manager.

I hope this helps. :)

Regards
Jim

4- Daemon Tools.

6- CCleaner or the like.

7- WinRaR.

Besides searching for the answers yourself here are a few good choices (some of my favorites)

1. UGet (with aria2)
uGet_019.png
2. Your desktop environments sound recorder (Most desktops have sound recording software built in)
sound_recorder.png
3. Handbrake
HandBrake_021.png
4. Depends on the distro, systemd, upstart, etc
systemd System Manager_022.png
5. You really don't need this on Linux but if you really must Bitdefender or ClamAV
BitDefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices_023.png
6. Again not really needed but Bleachbit (be VERY careful)/Ubuntu Tweak (if on Ubuntu)
BleachBit_024.png
7. Almost all desktop environments have built-in archive tools. Such as ARK. Just make sure rar is installed.
Archive Manager_025.png

Last edited:
4. Depends on the distro, systemd, upstart, etc
Daemon Tools is a programme that works as a disk image emulator.
In Windows there are no daemons, they call it Windows services, we call it 'some huge piece of you-know-what that makes my ram run out'

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts