OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 stucked on the booting stage

Prakash Selvakumar

Reaction score
Credits
Dear sir,

We're using OpenSUSE Leap 15.0. The Server was working well; after the restart, unexpectedly the server is strucking in the Leap stage.

Please find the snapshot and provide a permanent solution for us; we're using this device for our organization's Internal Server.

Note: This Server is very essential to our organization.

Regards,
Prakash S

Attachments

• Open SUSE 15.0 strucking in Leap.jpeg
    Open SUSE 15.0 strucking in Leap.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 43

Moved to SUSE/OpenSUSE, where it should have been placed.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day Prakash, Welcome to Linux.org

I have little to no knowledge here....someone with more knowledge will come along

In the meantime, have you restarted/rebooted, again ?

Dear sir,

We're using OpenSUSE Leap 15.0. The Server was working well; after the restart, unexpectedly the server is strucking in the Leap stage.

Please find the snapshot and provide a permanent solution for us; we're using this device for our organization's Internal Server.

Note: This Server is very essential to our organization.

Regards,
Prakash S
Can the machine be booted to text mode?
Presumably as a server it may be able to work in text mode, at least to some degree.
See how to do that, in case you are uncertain, here:

If the machine can boot to text mode, then it's likely the problem is with the graphics.

If the machine can boot to text mode, then perhaps run the following command and paste the output here, preferably in code tags, so readers can see some relevant details of the system:
Code:
inxi -GSaz
You may need to install inxi if it's not on the system. If you can't install inxi, there are other commands that can be used.

Last edited:
G'day Prakash, Welcome to Linux.org

I have little to no knowledge here....someone with more knowledge will come along

In the meantime, have you restarted/rebooted, again ?
Dear Condobloke

Yeah, I've restarted more than 5 times.

I followed also the Rescue Mode. But still now the same Leap windows are stayed.

can you give us a Little more info on the mchine? Inxi output would be good. Have you done a role back if you update recently?

Can the machine be booted to text mode?
Presumably as a server it may be able to work in text mode, at least to some degree.
See how to do that, in case you are uncertain, here:

If the machine can boot to text mode, then it's likely the problem is with the graphics.

If the machine can boot to text mode, then perhaps run the following command and paste the output here, preferably in code tags, so readers can see some relevant details of the system:
Code:
inxi -GSaz
You may need to install inxi if it's not on the system. If you can't install inxi, there are other commands that can be used.

Dear osprey

Thanks for providing the suggestion. We'll check and update.

can you give us a Little more info on the mchine? Inxi output would be good. Have you done a role back if you update recently?
Dear kc1di

What kind of information do you expect from me?

Didn't role back the updates, that Server stayed for more than 24 hrs in the same Leap window.

What is the machine cpu, ram, Gpu Etc. What happened before the lock up was the kernel updated?

You may also want to seek help at the OpenSuse forum found here.

What is the machine cpu, ram, Gpu Etc. What happened before the lock up was the kernel updated?

You may also want to seek help at the OpenSuse forum found here.
Dear kc1di

The below-mentioned for my Server Specs.

Processor: Dual Intel® Xeon®E5-2650V4( 30M,12C,2.2 Ghz)
Memory: (32Gb x 2) DDR4
HDD's: 2x 4TB

The attached snapshot for happened before.

Attachments

• Befor happened the Leap struck.jpeg
    Befor happened the Leap struck.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 36
Dear Chris Turner

I can't understood. Please explain briefly

You posted the thread, I think, in General Linux Quesrions. If you had looked at the alternative options, you would have seen as follows, and I moved it here.

xcWQvZi.png

Wizard

You posted the thread, I think, in General Linux Quesrions. If you had looked at the alternative options, you would have seen as follows, and I moved it here.

xcWQvZi.png

Wizard

Dear Chris Turner

Thanks you.

Please suggest a solution for the issue; I facing on my Server.

Dear all,

The “snapshot” folder is occupied the server space. I’ve disabled that and increased the server drive size.

I’ve resolved something, but my Server is only booting with Putty.
If restarted, my Server is stayed in this Leap state. Please suggest any method to view my server desktop.

Note: The Alt+ctrl+del command only works on this Leap state; other Alt+ctrl+F1, F2, etc these all the commands aren’t supported. In the Keyboard none of the keys are works in this Leap state, which make a very tragedy moment.
This SERVER is very essential of our Organization.

Please suggest the solution, we're waiting for your valuable reply.

Attachments

• Open SUSE 15.0 strucking in Leap.jpeg
    Open SUSE 15.0 strucking in Leap.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 20
Dear osprey

Thanks for providing the suggestion. We'll check and update.
I have seen this issue on Fedora. What happens is that even Linux will obsolete some things over time. This looks like a video issue to me. On my Fedora server it was and I ended up replacing the server entirely. In your case I would try the following...

1... boot into text mode and see what happens
2... Replace the video in the server with something you know to work out of the box.
normally this means plugging in a new card which will automatically disable on board video or disable on board in BIOS
3... At some point during bootup you should have GRUB. choose the previous kernel version and see what you get.

Staff online

Members online