onboard keyboard not recognized until after login

joe_linux

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, all:
I have an HP 15-dy2795wm laptop that I recently bought used from a local pawn shop. I've installed Debian 12 on it, and everything seems to work fine so far, with one exception... The keyboard is not recognized by the system at startup. The OS loads just fine, and my username appears. I can click on the username with my touchpad (which also works fine), but then I cannot enter my password. The keyboard is simply non-responsive. The only way I can log in is to connect a USB keyboard, enter my password, hit enter, and then once my DE (Cinnamon) loads the onboard keyboard works again.
I doubt its a driver issue, as the keyboard does work once I'm logged in. I suspect it's an issue with the boot sequence. But that's way above my education level as far as Linux goes. This is a laptop, and so I bought it for portability (all of my other PCs are all towers). But if I ever take it anywhere, I always have to take a USB keyboard along with it, which is annoying.
Any suggestions?
Thanks! :) Joe

It appears to be a kernel issue....so...

To expand a little on the link @Condobloke mentions in post #2, there are a few additional details on the kernel parameters that can be tried to encourage the kernel to see and run the keyboard from the start. Here's a list of possibles:

1. atkbd.reset
2. atkbd.reset=1
3. i8042.nomux=1
4. i8042.reset=1
5. i8042.nopnp=1
6. i8042.dumbkbd=1

It's possible to include combinations of these, particularly 2. to 6., but it might be useful to try 1. or 2. individually in the first instance. There's no guarantees with this sort of thing, and it can be tedious, but if it works, it's worth it.

The parameters can be applied first by editing the linux command line from the grub menu, in which case they only apply to that boot. To do that, hit e when the grub menu appears, navigate down to the linux line, add the parameters after a space, and with spaces between multiple parameters if adding them, (ensure it's all inside the quotation marks), and hit cntl+x to boot.

To make any permanent changes, edit the linux command line config in /etc/default/grub and update grub.

I would take bets on no.5

Members online