Nvidia driver x server thing

Ronbot123

Reaction score
Credits
So I got the nvidia driver installed but for some reason it boots into a blank screen instead of gui I have to boot into rescue mode and do startx to enter the gui, it does this after I blacklist the nouveau driver.

I meant it started doing the black screen after I blacklisted the nouveau driver

At a guess, would this be in the Kali distro mentioned in your other threads?
Although Kali is a "Debian derivative", there is a separate Kali section on the forum.

In any case, you can check which graphics driver and module your system is running with either of the following commands in a terminal or console, both when you have nouveau blacklisted, and when not, so you'll know what's what:
Code:
lspci -nnkd ::300
lspci -nnk |grep -A3 -i vga

On installing nvidia software, this page may be of interest:
just to compare what you have done with what is recommended.

I can't say what Kali itself recommends, but you may be able to access that if indeed you are running Kali.

You haven't described in detail what you have done, so readers are not armed enough to see where the errors may have occurred.

And on the matter of errors, you could check the journal, and kernel ring buffer for them with:
Code:
journalctl -b -x -p 3
dmesg | grep -i error

Other logs in /var/log can be checked as well.

There may also be some interesting information on nvidia in this thread:

Perhaps have a go with some of these suggestions and see if they get you anywhere :)

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts