No longer boot to x, just console

mebigfatguy

Reaction score
Credits
I had a disk corruption earlier, and it brought me to to an initramfs> prompt.

i found that the /dev/sda2/ volume was corrupted, and ran fsck which found and seemingly fixed a bunch of stuff.

After that, on reboot, it brought me to just a console, not x.

But it appears from what I can see, the drive is ok, at least mostly (we'll see)

when I type startx, I get

xf86EnabledIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)

if I run

sudo startx, x seems to come up, but of course not my user

Xorg.o.log says at the end

modest(0): drmSetMaster failed: Permission denied
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

i added

needs_root_rights=yes

to

/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

ant it seems to work? now. I'm not sure what changed.

G'day @mebigfatguy and welcome to linux.org :)

Glad you got your problem sorted and thanks for sharing.

I am a little concerned that the amendment of Xwrapper.config poses a potential security risk, but, hey if it works for you, go for it.

May I ask what Linux you are using and version you are using? You might do well to install Timeshift if you do not have it already, and take a snapshot for safeguarding the working environment.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Linux Mint 20.1 (Ulyssa)

After i could get back into X, i restored from timeshift from yesterday. That went ahead and reverted the above file back to the original it seems, and stuff is still mostly working.

Altho some oddities still exist... like docker not working for some reason. (the daemon starts, but the docker.sock file isn't created. Not sure what that's about.)

i restored from timeshift from yesterday.

Good to see you are making use of it :)

I am not a docker man (yet) so I won't guess about that. If you have older snapshots in your Timeshift you could always try one of those to see if it fixes everything.

If so, just be aware that if you do not have Home included in your snapshots (I do), you could lose some data so safeguard it first.

Cheers

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts