need your help with step 2 of Universal USB installer; no iso

F

freemail1

I downloaded Universal USB installer and I have it running but I'm stuck on step 2 .
I selected Mint in step 1 'select your Linux distribution from the drop down menu',
and then got stuck at
step 2, which is: 'Select your debian live.iso',
so I clicked browse and it opens my download folder which doesnt contain any iso.

What should I do? My download folder does not contain any iso. Where would I need to find
an iso? Shouldn't it have downloaded together with Universal USB installer?

I'm using:
XP
firefox

Which version of Universal USB Installer have you got? I've got 1.9.5.2. I can specify Ubuntu then the box to the right says "Download Link". That downloads the ISO from the link.

Yeah sometimes it will provide the link for you, I prefer to go to the website and download the iso myself, but UUI is just a program that will take an iso and write it to a USB stick as an executable so you can use it to install an OS, it never includes an iso file by default because...well...which iso is it going to include?

There are thousands of Linux distros and UUI supports hundreds at least. If it included every iso file you'd be spending days just downloading UUI and probably wasting a lot of memory since isos are generally fairly large.

Edit:
If you're looking for Mint:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Which version of Universal USB Installer have you got? I've got 1.9.5.2. I can specify Ubuntu then the box to the right says "Download Link". That downloads the ISO from the link.

I've got the latest 1.9.5.2 too.

If you're looking for Mint:
Is the Torrent provided by Mint safe to click? And the mirror sites?
The file is 1.1gb, is there a quicker way to download that? It will take ages to download, not to mention eating up my broadband allowance.
Zip file?

Last edited:
7% Mint downloaded from mirror site and it's been about 30-40 minutes already. Is this normal? There must be a quicker way surely; at this rate it will take me 10 hours to download.

Last edited:
What help do you want?

You could possibly buy a disk from somewhere like ebay. They are on sale in the UK, buy now, post free, from £1.09 (less than $2 US).

Last edited:
You're trying to download an entire OS, its not going to be like a small zip file :). Really 1.1GB isn't too bad for an ISO (I think openSUSE was around 4GB if I remember correctly), the real question is why its taking 10+ hrs to download a 1GB file.
@arochester is right you can buy installation disks that usually only charge for the price of the DVD/CD.
Also, some distributions (not sure about Mint) offer minimal ISOs that have just the barebones of a working system and then the rest of the software is downloaded over your network at time of installation, but still might end up taking a while if your connection is that slow.
Another option would be to try downloading somewhere with a better connection that offers Wifi like Panera or a library.
Final option might be to just let it download overnight, time flies when you're sleeping!

Edit: Just tested it out, downloading Mint with Cinnamon (1.2GB) from U of Maryland mirror (I live outside of Boston) is taking approx 20-30 mins for me, Are you sure you're selecting the absolute closest mirror to your location?

I find that the Internet works quicker and better in the morning, before America wakes up...

Members online