Need help with running itunes on linux

markgreatrex

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone.

I’m looking for some help with trying to get itunes running on linux so that I can watch the movies/tv shows i’ve purchased. I’ve had some limited success with getting standard definition video purchases playing, but not hd. I was wondering if anyone would like to chat/email about it?

I have tried many different settings on wine/versions of itunes, but get various problems that I don’t have enough experience to fix.

(I’m willing to admit this might be impossible on my hardware or just impossible.) But that’s one of the reason why i’m doing it, I don’t just want to give up and use macos or windows, part of the fun for me is the challenge.

I would love to be able to spend more time in linux so that I wouldn’t have to go to macos or Windows to run itunes. One more reason is that i can no longer upgrade the macos on the machine anymore as its not compatible hardware, so I’m looking at moving over to linux completely eventually.

Am open to using any distro, i’ve been trying to work this out with Ubuntu, as that’s the distro i’ve been using most, but am willing to try another, or sharing my screen/chat. My computer is a mid 2011 imac. I can provide specs if needed.

Thanks guys

Mark

G'day Mark, and Welcome to linux.org

Where do you download/purchase the movies/tv shows from ?

Is there any reason you can't right click on the movie file, and then select play/open with xyz video player ?? (xyz being any random player.....I would suggest using VLC....but we will come to that later)

I have some films and tv shows that i puchased on itunes and can only play on itunes, so thats the main reason for running itunes for me. (I have thought about converting the videos, although i dont really want to do that. Also you need itunes to access the film extras. Other videos i use vlc usually.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts