"Musique" music player deb installer.

hacktheworld

Reaction score
Credits
I have tried to install "Musique" music player on Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria; I have downloaded the deb installer from the official site, but don't work because the dependency libmpv2 is not satisfiable. I have done a search and the site https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2023/11/musique-music-player-ported-to-qt6 says that "Ubuntu users are able to download a DEB installer, though the latest version will only work on Ubuntu 23.04 or later due to libmpv version changes" (need the libmpv2 version). What about Linux Mint 21.2? How to solve this problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-12-10 16-55-00.png
    Screenshot from 2023-12-10 16-55-00.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Install it from Flatpak.

Linux Mint 21.2 is based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS ....not 23.04

Find another player

I recommend DeadBeef

You will find it in Software Manager of LM21.2

DeadBeef

1702266660959.png

Linux Mint 21.2 is based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS ....not 23.04

Find another player

I recommend DeadBeef

You will find it in Software Manager of LM21.2
Thank you very much. Do you know if the next Linux Mint release will be based on Ubuntu 23.04?

No
23.04 has its end of life in January 2024

Thank you
No
23.04 has its end of life in January 2024

Linux Mint 21.3 “Virginia” – Release BETA
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4611

Main components
Linux Mint 21.3 features a Linux kernel 5.15 and an Ubuntu 22.04 package base.

Should I deduce from this that the Musique developer (Flavio Tordini) made the player only for Ubuntu 23.04?

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me

I run Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.

An attempt to install returns:

1702351712418.png

libmpv2 is not available via Synaptic Package Manager....so a visit to the Musique site reveals ...

1702352103781.png

which tells you the development of this player is not up to scratch

It is certainly not a problem that I can solve,

Therefore, talk to the developer.

[email protected]

If you really wanted to put in the hard yards you could try installing

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS​

23.04 is NOT a long term distribution...its end of life is january 2024....just a month and a half....and it has had many problems in its short life....many of them related to sound.
Ubuntu 22.04.3 is a LTS version and so has support until 2027 as does Linux Mint 21.2

I run Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.

An attempt to install returns:

View attachment 17480

libmpv2 is not available via Synaptic Package Manager....so a visit to the Musique site reveals ...

View attachment 17481
which tells you the development of this player is not up to scratch

It is certainly not a problem that I can solve,

Therefore, talk to the developer.

[email protected]

If you really wanted to put in the hard yards you could try installing

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS​

23.04 is NOT a long term distribution...its end of life is january 2024....just a month and a half....and it has had many problems in its short life....many of them related to sound.
Ubuntu 22.04.3 is a LTS version and so has support until 2027 as does Linux Mint 21.2
I like Linux Mint
(I also use Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon)

I never liked Ubuntu
I have found Resonance music player (IS EARLY STAGE ALPHA RELEASE SOFTWARE THERE ARE BUGS) but is very promising... https://flathub.org/apps/io.github.nate_xyz.Resonance

Resonance is present in LM21.2 Software Manager
UI updates to reflect currently playing track's cover art colorsPlaylist creation and modificationControl the player through MPRISDiscord Rich Presence integrationLast.fm scrobblingImport tags with the Mutagen libraryNo tag editing (intentionally out of scope to keep Resonance a music player only)⚠️ RESONANCE IS EARLY STAGE ALPHA RELEASE SOFTWARE (THERE ARE BUGS, PLEASE OPEN ISSUES) ⚠️

It must show promise, otherwise it would not be in the Software Manager

1702357782446.png

I agree....I have very little time for Ubuntu

Resonance is present in LM21.2 Software Manager
UI updates to reflect currently playing track's cover art colorsPlaylist creation and modificationControl the player through MPRISDiscord Rich Presence integrationLast.fm scrobblingImport tags with the Mutagen libraryNo tag editing (intentionally out of scope to keep Resonance a music player only)⚠️ RESONANCE IS EARLY STAGE ALPHA RELEASE SOFTWARE (THERE ARE BUGS, PLEASE OPEN ISSUES) ⚠️

It must show promise, otherwise it would not be in the Software Manager

View attachment 17482

I really like Resonance, it has all it takes to become a great Music Player, I hope the development proceeds quickly. I support Resonance hoping to help carry forward this very beautiful project...

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-12-07 16-27-26.png
    Screenshot from 2023-12-07 16-27-26.png
    57 KB · Views: 65
no GNOME or KDE dependencies - just GTK2 and several small libraries

I'd rather have GTK4 and Qt6 flooding my system. Sorry but GTK2 recalls the past too much. I do have Deadbeef on MX Linux, don't use it much.

I have Freespire "Focal Fossa" which has KDE Plasma v5.18 desktop. There I have Dragon Player and Juke and cannot remove either of them because they hang on to a critical KDE dependency. Nevertheless I installed Audacious. I don't like that one as much as I used to, but is better than many options out there. Especially MPV and VLC for playing music. Especially alpha software.

I, too, will thoroughly recommend DeaDBeeF (this is the correct spelling, apparently!)

I've maintained an up-to-date portable version for Puppy for quite some time. To me, its two outstanding features (sorry, three) are:-

• Its ability to play a .pls music stream from an external source (works with my Radiotunes a/c, and sounds way better than it does in the browser)
  • Its brilliant equalizer - which really enhances the sound!
  • Its ability to offer a highly flexible/customizable GUI; you can move every component of the interface to exactly where you want it (Menu -> View -> Design Mode)
And, it's extremely lightweight.....with a sizeable range of plugins for various options/functions. Though I never have been able to figure out just what the "Secret Rabbit code" is..! (Edit -> Preferences -> DSP tab)

Mike. :D

Last edited:

Members online