Missing Something?

E

Eddie G. O'Connor

I don't know what it is, but I used to be able to install Debian on any hardware I had at my disposal, but it seems either something must have changed or else my brains and age are catching up to me....I cannot for the life of me get it to install anymore. But let me give the entire scenario so that this is more understandable.
*Doesn't matter whether its burned to CD/DVD or I place the iso image on a USB.
*Am trying (for now) to install Jessie with the standard desktop or with MATE on a Lenovo ThinkPad T410/T420
*Every single time its the same thing-Debian will go through the installation process and will STOP at the installation of Grub. No matter what I do it won't install it.

Now I have to ask, why would someone design a distro that DOESN'T install a crucial part of the OS? Am I missing something? I dunno, but I guess I'll have to move on to CEntOS until they figure this out? Pity, I actually loved working with Debian!!

I have just reinstalled Debian Testing on my Lenovo W510 with no difficulties. In fact I have never had any difficulties installing Debian on any of my systems, with the exception of a faulty hard drive.

I would recommend reformatting the entire hard drive, and repartitioning. Then I would recommend giving Debian one more try.

By repartitioning you mean the hard drive I'm trying to install it to? I've used Darik's Boot And Nuke on it multiple times!.....restoring it to a completely "blank" state and have tested it out using other Linus distro installs, everything from Fedora to Ubuntu...Mint....openSuSE.....Manjaro...SolusOS...and DeepinOS. Now...here's a question: How is it that distros like Mint and Ubuntu are BASED off of Debian, but I don't have ANY issues installing them to this HDD on either machine (Thinkpad T410 / T420)???.....why can't the Debian group use the SAME installation process these other two do?...I just don't get it! (And it's hella-frustrating too!!!...LoL!)

Just a few links that I've read and followed to the letter! Only to have no OS installed afterwards! Just don't understand why its NOT THERE?.....(the grub file that is!) Its like...who built this and where’s' the bloody engine!??...LoL!

Sorry....still a newbie!.....can't paste links just yet...

I've reinstalled Debian lately also and it worked fine. And actually Debian has installed for me when others will not (especially due to UEFI issues). You obviously have experience with Linux installs so not likely you're missing anything in the process. I might ask if you checked the MD5SUM of your download? If it passes that, I might would try a variation on the install... by that, I mean, if you booted "live" first and then ran install from the desktop, I would instead run install from the initial boot screen (there's two options I think, one graphical and another that just says "run install" or something like that). Or if you ran install from the boot screen, I might let it boot live first and then start it from the desktop icon.

If your laptop is UEFI based, I might try disabling "secure boot" and/or enabling "legacy boot" or "legacy mode". With so many other distros working for you, this really doesn't seem to be the answer though.

I hope you find the solution... good luck!

Well I've been installing Linux distros since before UEFI, and I already have the options on the Thinkpads to boot "Legacy First" because that usually allows any distro to run. The other option is to select the UEFI/Legacy option which chooses the UEFI version first and the Legacy boot mode second. I've configured it both ways and the Debian install still just stops at the grub installation step. I have chosen to boot from a LiveCD/DVD AND to do it from a USB iso. I've chosen the GUI for installation AND the Install only options (from the main menu after booting up!) and it STILL gets stuck on the grub install...nah. I've washed my hands of this. Gonna go with CEntOS and openSuSE. Less headaches and more time to improve my Admin skills. Sorry Debian, you just ain't what you used to be. Thanks to all..for your advice and assistance. I may return to Debian in the future when they've perfected their installation processes...but until that time? I'm done.
On a side note: I realize that these distros aren't funded by some Fortune 50 company, and that me bitching, moaning and groaning doesn't mean they even have time to listen. I appreciate every developer and programmer out thre who have dedicated their lives to making Linux the best it can be. (That's why I've decided to become a programmer...but DAMN learning all these languages and all the various syntax is making me CRAZY!...Lol!) But I intend to keep at it until I've become a master programmer....I guess I'm starting lete in life?...(45 yrs old!) but better late than never!! Happy Linux-ing to all!

@Eddie G. O'Connor

Please keep in mind that probably millions of people have successfully installed Debian Linux on millions of computers, without any difficulty installing Grub.

I don't offhand know what the problem is with your system, but I would guess there is some issue with either the copy of the Distro you are using or with the hardware. If I were working on your system, I would download, and run hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer of the hard drive. I use the "Netinst" version of the installer.

If there is some issue with the hard drive or motherboard, then successfully installing another Distro probably won't make the Debian problem disappear, just mask it, at least temporarily.

Please don't blame Debian! It is one of the oldest and most stable Distros there is! More Distros have been based on Debian, by parent, grandparent, etc... than any other Distro. Why? ;^)

"Sorry Debian, you just ain't what you used to be." I completely disagree with this statement. In fact the Distro improves with each new version! And for the record, I am much older than you! ;^)

Whatever Distro you do finally install, I wish you the best with learning, and using Linux, languages, and applications!

The RedHat/CentOS and openSUSE families are also excellent products. That's the great thing about Linux... choices. Many choices.

As @rstanley suggested though, I suspect some glitch between your Debian ISO and/or hardware. And I would guess it is fixable, but I sure understand giving up and moving on to something different... because I do the same thing if things don't go smoothly as expected. If you used the same ISO to burn both your DVD and USB install media, that is a potential for the trouble which is why I inquired if you checked the MD5SUM on your download. But, its a moot point now.

Best of luck!

Staff online

Members online