Media players skip first few seconds of audio

Servant

Reaction score
Credits
When selecting an audio file to play (using, say, VLC or Mint's Media Player), the player skips the first few seconds of the song. If I stop playback in the player and start the file again from the beginning, or if I play a song as part of a playlist, it works fine. I've observed this behavior on both Intel/Mint and Raspberry Pi 4 platforms, so it appears to be a Linux issue. I can't be the only one having this problem, but I can't seem to find a thread that addresses it.

- Servant

G'day and Welcome to Linux.org

In your list of Preferred Applications.....is VLC set as the default application for opening the said audio file ?

I've observed this behavior on both Intel/Mint and Raspberry Pi 4 platforms, so it appears to be a Linux issue.
I don't think it's a Linux issue because I'm not having the problem on Arch, it plays directly without skipping anything. I have tried it both with mp3 and flac audio files, what type of audio files are you playing?

MP3, WAV and FLAC all exhibit the same issue, whether played locally or from a network drive. The length of the crop is actually about a second, not several as I originally posted. If I restart the song within 1 or 2 seconds of stopping (not pausing) it, it doesn't crop. Because I observe the same behavior on Mint and Raspberry operating systems, and each is on a different platform (Intel Atom for Mint and Raspberry Pi 4 for Raspberry OS) I gotta believe it's a Linux issue.

I have several flavors of Linux running, and it doesn't do it on any on them.

How much RAM on your system?

And hence my vexation. If it was a Linux issue, I should have a lot of company. I have no trouble playing the same media in Windows.

I have 8GB on the Raspberry Pi 4.

And hence my vexation. If it was a Linux issue, I should have a lot of company. I have no trouble playing the same media in Windows.

I have 8GB on the Raspberry Pi 4.
You can try Mpg321 player for audio it is faster then VLC
Code:
sudo apt-get install mpg321

Members online