Linux Newbie - Can't get Epson DS-30 Scanner to power on with Lubuntu

J

Jason Hodder

Hi All

Pretty much a hail mary shot on this one. I'm running an Acer Aspire One 522 with Lubuntu. I have been wanting to get my portable scanner (an Epson DS-30) running for quite some time, however I can't for the life of my figure out why it won't power up (its one of those models that is solely powered through the USB port and doesn't have a power button).

Here's the worst part - I'm brutally unfamiliar with Linux. I have a background of command prompts with DOS a long time ago, but Linux is practically a foreign language for me. However, I'm patient and adept at googling. Here's what I've figured out.....

I've installed ImageScan for Linux, and it recognizes there's a DS-30 attached, but gives a "could not send command to scanner. check the scanner's status." message

I've also tried VueScan, which detected the Epson DS-30 attached, however says "VueScan found an Epson DS-30, but no Epson software for this scanner was found on your system. Try downloading a driver for this scanner from epson's website "

I've installed the Linux drivers from the Epson Website, and they seemed to install, however no change there.

I also tried using lsusb to see if Linux detected the scanner, and it did find it... "Bus 001 Device 017: ID 04b8:0147 Seiko Epson Corp."

So, overall, it seems like Linux can see it, and at least partially recognizes it, but for some reason, the scanner won't power up (the LED indicator on it won't turn on).

I've eliminated the possibility of it being the scanner or the usb cable, as I can get it to power up on a Windows 8 system after installing the drivers and software there.

I'm wondering if maybe there is something different with how the USB ports on my system are configured? maybe the scanner doesn't like them?

Yeah, I'm really that stuck. So, any suggestions/thoughts/walkthroughs that anyone can provide would be immensely appreciated. I'm trying to avoid dual-booting with windows so I can regain the use of my scanner.

Thanks all,
Jason

Last edited:

Power to USB devices is not (normally) configured by the OS but by the hardware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub#Power
You said the scanner works with Windows 8, but was it on the same laptop?
Could you post the output from:
Code:
sudo lsusb -v -s001:017
In particular what is the Device Status: at the bottom. But the full output would be nice as well. ;)
Have you enabled any powersaving features? For example, powertop will show USB ports as wasting power. TLP may disable USB power out as well.

Power to USB devices is not (normally) configured by the OS but by the hardware:

You said the scanner works with Windows 8, but was it on the same laptop?
Could you post the output from:
Code:
sudo lsusb -v -s001:017
In particular what is the Device Status: at the bottom. But the full output would be nice as well. ;)
Have you enabled any powersaving features? For example, powertop will show USB ports as wasting power. TLP may disable USB power out as well.

Thanks for responding! Yes, using Windows on this laptop, I was able to get this scanner working. The output from that was...

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0147 Seiko Epson Corp.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bDeviceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bDeviceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
bMaxPacketSize() 64
idVendor 0x04b8 Seiko Epson Corp.
idProduct 0x0147
bcdDevice 6.02
iManufacturer 10 Seiko Epson Corp.
iProduct 11 Epson DS-30
iSerial 12 Q5EZ428534
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 39
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
(Bus Powered)
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndppointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndppointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndppointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0001 1x 1 bytes
bInterval 8

Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
bLength 10
bDescriptorType 6
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bDeviceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bDeviceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
bMaxPacketSize() 64
bNumConfigurations 1
Device Status: 0x0000
(Bus Powered0

As for powersaving features, there aren't any going on that I'm aware of.

Thanks,
Jason

Just had the same problem here. The solution is to be sure to install the "iscan plugin package" along with the "iscan" package (core and data), which you have already done. The Epson download website is not the best designed in the world, so it is easy to miss it - there are 3 packages total to install. My linux system is pretty old by now (Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic) but the driver seems to work fine. The power light only comes on when a scanner program starts up. I use Xsane.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts