Linux Mint - why do so many not like it?

U

unixfish

I have seen a few people post to the effect that "Mint is garbage".

I am wondering why some feel this way.

I was using Ubuntu, but the Unity desktop was just not my thing - it does not work for the way I think. For example, I could never remember tool names to search in Unity; if I need to find the media player, it would take me 10 minutes to remember Asunder or the tool name. Put things in categories, I click on multi media, and will remember once I see "Asunder". Names do not come to me easily.

I have had nothing but problems with KDE in the past, and do not want to change.

I also support a few clients running Ubuntu servers, so I keep "close to their configs" by running a Debian variant. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, this works for me. I have a number of tools that are not common, so I have been sticking to larger, widely supported distributions to avoid having to build each one from scratch.

I have an old laptop - a Dell D630 that must be 8 or 9 years old. Sure, it has some quirks that I have to configure around, and there are some issues I've had with both Mint and Ubuntu that I've learned to work around.

So - back to my question. Why the disdain for Mint?

Sounds to me like it's more like a personal preference. I think Mint has come a long way and I used it for a while with no issues whatsoever. The cinnamon desktop is very user friendly. I personally now use Fedora 21 and it's on an 7 year old Gateway laptop. It's lightning fast even with Gnome 3 on it. Works great for me.

I use Linux Mint Qiana on my Dell Inspiron. I am quite happy with it. I often don't even think about the OS I am using because it is transparent, so to speak. I had had real problems (similar to yours) a few years earlier with the Unity interface and was so glad to discover this alternative.

Even after trimming Mint down you end up with a lot of residue, thus Ubuntu minimal + your favorite desktop environment is most likely cleaner.

The big problem with Mint is too much preloaded bloatware, in my humble opinion.

Other than that it's a good distribution, offering many DEs out of the download box. Still I'd go with Lubuntu/Xubuntu if I didn't prefer Cinnamon DE - Manjaro then.

Manjaro is Arch's Mint, only better. It generally offers most applications one needs, almost always available on AUR when not on main repositories. You won't find everything though, and building stuff from scratch can be a bore as you pointed out.

When I'm running Arch/based, I can feel I'm in strict control of the system for a number of reasons. Also, it's been remarkably more stable for me. When I fix a problem, I don't get the feeling that some quirks remain.

However, realizing how mainstream ubuntu and debian have become, business-wise, keeping them ready for boot on a big flash drive, with persistence, can be a good solution.

I guess it all comes down to what makes your life easier anyway.

Last edited:
I agree that MINT can seem bloated with everything preloaded on it. This can be good or bad depending on what you want.

I recently installed MINT on my desktop for Steam figuring the plus side of being preloaded would at least mean less configuring llater. Also, I think Unity is just weird.

I like any kind of food (for the most part)..... :) It's the same way with Distros..... Were it not for this old Inspiron, and Lubuntu that I'd already installed on it, and the fact that I found out that Mint ran fast, even on a USB, I'd have it installe3 on here..... Were it not for the HDD, and the possibility that Dual-Booting isn't a good thing for those things....... Neh... Probably..... :3

I have seen a few people post to the effect that "Mint is garbage".

I am wondering why some feel this way.

I was using Ubuntu, but the Unity desktop was just not my thing - it does not work for the way I think. For example, I could never remember tool names to search in Unity; if I need to find the media player, it would take me 10 minutes to remember Asunder or the tool name. Put things in categories, I click on multi media, and will remember once I see "Asunder". Names do not come to me easily.

I have had nothing but problems with KDE in the past, and do not want to change.

I also support a few clients running Ubuntu servers, so I keep "close to their configs" by running a Debian variant. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, this works for me. I have a number of tools that are not common, so I have been sticking to larger, widely supported distributions to avoid having to build each one from scratch.

I have an old laptop - a Dell D630 that must be 8 or 9 years old. Sure, it has some quirks that I have to configure around, and there are some issues I've had with both Mint and Ubuntu that I've learned to work around.

So - back to my question. Why the disdain for Mint?
Also, I Love the little "ploik!" sound that the Windows make when they snap to a part of the Desktop....... :3 Oh, and the THEMES........ :D

I have installed Linux Mint KDE on all the computers at work and home, I have people ask how they can get Linux for their computers too. I think this version really have people looking because its easy to use and has a crisp look about it. I never had anyone ask how to get Linux in the past so they are on the right track with Linux Mint KDE. I also think Windows 8 really ticked off the average computer user because of its over complex screen system. You touch the wrong area of your screen and God knows what might pop up or where the screen may go which has people looking more at Linux. As far as I go I really like Linux and have been spreading the word about it.

I love Linux Mint.I recently installed Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca.And just love it.I know there is a newer version for Linux Mint which is 17.2.But im not upgrading to that one.Im fine with the current version i have.

Members online