Kolourpaint normal icons for dark themes (for all DEs)

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
Those of you who use dark themes have probably noticed that Kolourpaint, among other programs, have ugly SVG monochrome icons when the dark theme for the desktop is activated. I tried 8 different icon packages but they all were the same - monochrome icons. Looks like someone decided to punish us for using a dark desktop theme. So I took the time and dug up the regular icons (those that Kolourpaint uses by default for light desktop themes) and changed some of them to fit for my purpose. This is what the Kolourpaint icons look like now, when you're using a dark theme for the desktop:

hgdBfs2.png

If you like what you see, the download links are at the end of this post. But first, you need to know how to "install" them.

1. Install qt5ct for your distro:
Code:
sudo pacman -S qt5ct qt5-styleplugins
or
sudo apt-get install qt5ct qt5-styleplugins
If, by any chance, you see a message either one of the packages can not be found, you'll have to find it somewhere else and then install it. The program (qt5ct) won't run at all, if you don't install qt5-styleplugins.
2. Start qt5ct (it should be available in the menu) and choose color palette "darker" (the first tab of the app).
3. Unpack the contents of the archive somewhere (your desktop will do) and set it display hidden files and folders.
4. Use whatever text editor you like and open the file
Code:
/.local/share/kxmlgui5/kolourpaint/kolourpaintui.rc
Scroll down to the end of the file (line 243). Now, unless your name is rado, you'll have to match it for your system. This is done very easy: press Ctrl+H and in the first text box type (without the quotes) "rado". In the second text box type your user name and then press "Replace All", then save the file overwriting it (Ctrl+S).
5. Copy both folders (.config and .local) to your home directory. Overwrite all files, if asked.
6. Open qt5ct again, click on the third tab ("icons theme") and select theme named "Kolourpaint Hicolor". Ignore the fact that it doesn't have exemplary icons. If some day I found a way how to make exemplary icons, I'll fix that.
7. Press "Apply", then "OK" and you're good to go. Open Kolourpaint and enjoy its new icons.

If you don't like my icons, feel free to change them. The icons for saving files and text are located in
Code:
/.local/share/icons/kolourpaint/mainbar-icons/
The rest of the icons (those for all the tools) are located in
Code:
/.local/share/icons/kolourpaint/[NUMBER]/actions
where [NUMBER] is the size of the icons starting with 16 and ending with 48 pixels.

Download links: Google Drive / 4shared

P.S. Don't try to make the tool icons bigger than they are. There's a bug in Kolourpaint which will make the left column of tools buttons unnecessarily wider while the icon remains as large as you wanted it to be, which, no need to say, is quite ugly.

Members online