Is there a native app for this?

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
Total Commander (Windows app) has this very useful app called lister.exe which reads the contents of a file and displays it in a non editive environment. It's particularly useful for viewing large files whose size could thwart or even crash any regular text editor. It also reads any formatting code in the file, such as CSS, HTML and XML and displays the contents as it would look like when opened in the browser. Usually it's run by pressing F3 in TC but I found it and moved it to linux for wine useage, altough that has its disadvantages. This is what it looks like when you load a file through lister.exe:

1NBBBqp.png

The same content in a text editor:

FZf98zZ.png

I'm showing you these screenshots, so that you understand why I prefer using the lister.exe to view such files (XML, CSS, etc) than text editors.
However, as I said, using it with wine has its disadvantages but I won't delve into that now.

The $1 million question is: is there any native linux app that works the same way?

You could try Midnight Commander.
Code:
sudo pacman -S mc
mc
Just browse the the location of the file and then you can use F3 to view the file.

Last edited:
I don't want the commander itself, I wanted just the lister - independently from the commander. The double panel commanders in linux don't work the same way as those in windows, that's why I avoid them.

And I just found one: sushi. It took some time to make it useable with right click but I did it, eventually, so that I can use it as "Open with...".

Members online

No members online now.