How to set up floating IP address for clustered nodes in centos 7?

Reaction score
Credits

I'm trying to follow this tutorial to set up highly available

Floating IP address : For Cluster nodes

Other Info:
Cluster Name :- linuxteck_cluster
Virtual IP:- 192.168.3.105

The creator mentions these information but doesn't tell how to set up these stuffs. So, I though it'd be good to ask this information out.

Last two posts I remember you posting were about not understanding lvm and the other about not being satisfied with the udemy course you are doing because you not having the feeling you have a good enough understanding of Linux. So why are you looking at advanced stuff if you don't even have the basic sysadmin stuff down?

Last edited:
Hmm I did this anyway. Any advice for me? I'm at a job rn and learning OTJ....I am in a hurry, been 1 month already.

As a junior sysadmin you will not be expected to be able to setup a cluster but will be expected to know basic syadmin material such as RHCSA and after enough experience knowng RHCE material as well. Also as a sysadmin you will be expected to do independent learning and problem solving, so focus on that. But to help you out anyways, a floating ip is an ip adress that can be assigned and active on both nodes when that node is active. How that technically works depends on the virtualization software you are using and is handled by the virtualization team since you will only get an ip which you can use on your cluster. So use your favorite search engine to help you find how that is setup on whatever you are using.

I see but these are the tasks being assigned by my supervisor.
Well your supervisor shouldn't be assigning a junior sysadmin tasks that should be done by a medior or senior sysadmin. Since you said you don't have down basic sysadmin tasks yet such as lvm and other such things, you should be getting tasks that help you learn basis sysadmin tasks which is RHCSA material and maybe some RHCE material. If you are still required to do that maybe you didn't get hired as a junior but as medior or senior, however if that is the case you shouldn't be asking on a public forum of how to do your job since you are getting paid for the job and I am not getting paid for your job.

No, I'm a trainne system administrator.
That's basically the same as a junior sysadmin. I would expect you to have co-workers who can answer your questions as well and be able to help you with other things you get stuck on.

Last edited:
Something seems wrong with your description about how people interact at your workplace. This forum, Linux.org may not be the best place to give you workplace advice, because only you understand your workplace situation.

I do not know what skills the boss expected you to have when you started the job. You should be able to ask for help at any workplace when you need it. The trick is getting the most out of the help that you receive and not needing help too often.

... and also not needing help for tasks that you are expected to know. Is that the truth here? Are you in a job where they expected you to know more than you do?

It may help for you to work on learning and mastering Linux administration skills in your personal time to help you feel comfortable when you are under pressure to accomplish similar tasks at work. Setup your own network and servers at home. Try out the configurations that you are asked to perform at work. If you don't have or can't borrow the equipment you need, then maybe you can set up a virtual network and a few virtual machines to run all of it in your personal computer. The virtual machines do not have to run fast or do much as long as they help you learn skills like "how to configure a two-node HA cluster" and other system administration tasks.

Consider installing VirtualBox or other virtualization software on your personal computer. Create some Linux virtual machines to run on it.

Example:
Earlier this year I started a project to try out several different Linux remote desktop solutions. (That project is still in progress, but currently on hold.) Before trying remote desktops on a real server on the internet, I tested configurations in virtual machines in my personal computer first. They were much easier to configure and test on virtual machines before doing the same with a remote server over the internet. It was easy to take a "snapshot" of the virtual server, try a configuration setting or different software, and then revert back to the snapshot if it didn't work.

It may help for you to work on learning and mastering Linux administration skills in your personal time to help you feel comfortable when you are under pressure to accomplish similar tasks at work. Setup your own network and servers at home. Try out the configurations that you are asked to perform at work. If you don't have or can't borrow the equipment you need, then maybe you can set up a virtual network and a few virtual machines to run all of it in your personal computer. The virtual machines do not have to run fast or do much as long as they help you learn skills like "how to configure a two-node HA cluster" and other system administration tasks.
As has mentioned they don't seem to have basics sysadmin tasks down, really smart to skip the basics and they go straight to advanced stuff like clustering. For example OP still has trouble understanding lvm, how do they expect to setup HA-lvm on a cluster if they don't understand lvm a normal system? As mentioned before as a junior sysadmin you should not be getting tasks which would normally fall under a medior or senior but tasks that help you get a better grasp of basic sysadmin stuff. How do I know this because I wasn't building clusters until I was actually ready for it having and being able to dream the normal sysadmin/engineer material and on top of that I follow a Rhel course for learning how clustering works. How do I know that because I work as a sysadmin.

And I agree with what @sphen says about setting up learning projects. Before I even got a job as sysadmin I was always spending my free time learning and setting things up to learn myself. That's the key to to getting better at things and to gaining more knoweldge and understanding outside of work experience.

IDK man. I am a new graduate hire, so I'm pretty sure they didn't expect me to know much.
I find it quite strange that co-workers are not willing to help you since as junior sysadmin you should be able to learn from your co-workers with more experience. Did you check what the actual job description for the job you got?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts