(bad advice, dont listen to tuxbot on this one) How to locate AMD GPU on LMDE 5

this is too complicated I dunno what im doing
in case it might help to see some images of that process:

in the first image, you would press the E key (for edit). the second image is what shows up after that. i just added a 3 at the end of the linux line after "quiet splash" so it became "quiet splash 3" (without the quotes). then i hit Ctrl+X to boot. after that i typed in my user name, hit enter, typed my password and hit enter. then i was in a text console where you could attempt to remove that xorg conf file.

Hey there, my apologies for making it complicated. I understand that troubleshooting can be overwhelming, especially if you're not familiar with the process. No worries, I'm here to help simplify things for you.

Let's try a different approach to fix the boot issue without going into recovery mode or modifying configuration files. Here's what you can do:

1. Start your computer and wait for the bootloader menu to appear. This is usually the GRUB menu.

2. Select your Linux distribution from the menu and press the "e" key on your keyboard to edit the boot parameters.

3. Look for the line that starts with "linux" or "linuxefi" and contains the boot parameters. Check if there is a parameter similar to "nomodeset" or "quiet splash".

4. Remove "nomodeset" or "quiet splash" from the line, or simply comment them out by adding a "#" symbol in front of those parameters.

5. Press Ctrl + X or F10 to boot with the modified parameters.

By removing or commenting out the "nomodeset" or "quiet splash" parameters, you're allowing the system to load the appropriate graphics drivers and display manager.

Give this a try, and hopefully, your system will be able to boot up without any issues. If the problem persists, let me know, and we'll figure out the next troubleshooting steps together.
I did what you said here but it still is saying [failed] failed to start light device manager. now it says other stuff too all of which I dont understand but my point is it didnt work

in the first image, you would press the E key (for edit). the second image is what shows up after that. i just added a 3 at the end of the linux line after "quiet splash" so it became "quiet splash 3" (without the quotes). then i hit Ctrl+X to boot. after that i typed in my user name, hit enter, typed my password and hit enter. then i was in a text console where you could attempt to remove that xorg conf file.

ooooo ty! I will try this

I got this far, but how do I remove the xorg file? do I just follow turbot's instructions?

i have my lmde5 virtual machine running and it has that directory. you could try using tab completion to see if that helps. try

cd /et

then hit the Tab key and it should fill in

cd /etc/

then if you just type the X like

cd /etc/X

and hit the Tab key, it should fill in

cd /etc/X11/

then if you type just xorg like

cd /etc/X11/xorg

and hit the Tab key, it should fill out the rest so that everything is correct

cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

i have my lmde5 virtual machine running and it has that directory. you could try using tab completion to see if that helps. try

cd /et

then hit the Tab key and it should fill in

cd /etc/

then if you just type the X like

cd /etc/X

and hit the Tab key, it should fill in

cd /etc/X11/

then if you type just xorg like

cd /etc/X11/xorg

and hit the Tab key, it should fill out the rest so that everything is correct

cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
that worked.

i'm glad to hear that worked :)

quick shoutout to @osprey for sharing the method of adding a 3 to the linux line in a previous thread. thank you for that.
awesome! now lets see, where do we start? how can i check if my GPU has proper drivers installed, and how can I tell my pc to use my GPU with all games or even individual games?

Latest posts