How do I enable the serial console in desktop 23.10? [Solved]

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
I have a lot of experience with Linux, but not much with Ubuntu, however I have a project that needs Ubuntu in the cloud. I can't use the marketplace images because I need an application that requires a GUI to authenticate against a remote server before I upload it. I was able to create a vhd images and upload it to Azure, however I cannot access the serial console. It appears that Ubuntu does not have a serial console server by default. I googled the web, and used CoPilot ( which is sometimes useless ) it says to install a packages called sersial-console-serial. When I try to install this, it says that packages is not available ( however I can install other packages ).

I am seriously out of my depth here....however...

Worth a look ? https://github.com/dun/conman

This came from linux Mint 23.1 repository/software manager.......which looks like below"

1711244743062.png

OR....

which came from same source.....below:

1711244846183.png

I have a lot of experience with Linux, but not much with Ubuntu, however I have a project that needs Ubuntu in the cloud. I can't use the marketplace images because I need an application that requires a GUI to authenticate against a remote server before I upload it. I was able to create a vhd images and upload it to Azure, however I cannot access the serial console. It appears that Ubuntu does not have a serial console server by default. I googled the web, and used CoPilot ( which is sometimes useless ) it says to install a packages called sersial-console-serial. When I try to install this, it says that packages is not available ( however I can install other packages ).
Dunno if this is any help, but for a serial console, one can use the kernel option: console=ttyS0, and systemd will automatically start a getty on it for you. Then just run:
Code:
systemctl enable [email protected]
systemctl start [email protected]

Check on serial ports:
Code:
[root@min ~]# cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
serinfo:1.0 driver revision:
0: uart:16550A port:000003F8 irq:4 tx:0 rx:0
1: uart:unknown port:000002F8 irq:3
2: uart:unknown port:000003E8 irq:4
3: uart:unknown port:000002E8 irq:3

Then, in my case, it was using AT commands on minicom (but not in the environment you describe). YMMV.

Members online