Hi

L

LinuxGeek

Hi! I'm new on this forum, but have been using linux for more than 15 years.

I have used:
  • Slackware
  • Suse
  • Debian
  • Redhat
  • Corel
  • LFS
  • Gentoo
  • Puppy
  • Slackx
  • Knoppix
  • Ubuntu
  • Trisquel
  • DSL
  • Mandriva
  • Fedora
It's a lot, but first time I installed it is before this century, life passes by quickly..

One of my favourites had always been slackware, but these days wifi isn't working by default and i have tons of diskspace - so any distro would do :) but in general, I like distros that work out of the box

These days I use debian

I used Debian 7.5 OOB and it ran very well. But some software packages I need were not available so I gambled and installed Linux Mint 17 and I've never turned back.

Regards
Jim

How is Linux Mint? I've never used this one, it's quite new I think

I have used:
  • Slackware
  • Suse
  • Debian
  • Redhat
  • Corel
  • LFS
  • Gentoo
  • Puppy
  • Slackx
  • Knoppix
  • Ubuntu
  • Trisquel
  • DSL
  • Mandriva
  • Fedora
It's a lot, but first time I installed it is before this century, life passes by quickly..

One of my favourites had always been slackware, but these days wifi isn't working by default and i have tons of diskspace - so any distro would do :) but in general, I like distros that work out of the box

These days I use debian
I totally agree. I have only used Debian for many years after also trying out many different Distros. Nothing works better for me from server to laptop.

How is Linux Mint? I've never used this one, it's quite new I think
Like I said, I've never turned back. It gives me good service and it's really Ubuntu in another distro. What makes it pleasant for me is the Cinnamon desktop. Probably the best I've worked with. It's not a server distro, but really only for a desk or laptop. Good support. Very pleased. But this is just my 2 cents. Everyone's taste is different.

Slackware is about the best for servers and ISP's. One I worked for back in the day used it and while on 56k lines, we were getting an average of 2.5-3K download speeds at all times for our users. Pretty damn good back then. Our primary, secondary, mail and web servers were smokin'! Then our admin had a falling out with the owner, left and the servers didn't function right for some reason, but we couldn’t prove sabotage. So the new admin came on the same day but only knew Windows. We didn't have much choice to keep the flag flying, When we did that it was CHOKE...PUKE...FART all the time with them (plus spending oodles of dollars for new software). He left, the previous one came back and returned everything back to Slackware and the problems were solved overnight with a midnight pizza, beer and server rescue operation. Went soooo fine. I think the beer made us work better since we weren’t under any stress, like kamikaze pilots sucking the saki before they took off :)