hi from a funtoo fan

666threesixes666

hi, i'm from funtoo, and i'm kind of surprised that there are not funtoo/gentoo subforums of popular distributions. funtoo's recently been gearing its systems up. funtoo's source based so it can build stripped down secure binaries for specific architectures to get absolute maximum performance, and security out of any system.

hi, i'm from funtoo, and i'm kind of surprised that there are not funtoo/gentoo subforums of popular distributions. funtoo's recently been gearing its systems up. funtoo's source based so it can build stripped down secure binaries for specific architectures to get absolute maximum performance, and security out of any system.

Hi,
I was just looking at Funtoo last night, well the website. I noticed your on your first release. I flipped back to Gentoo's page to try to make sense of the installation/handbook. I did find a page elsewhere that made better sense of the install directions but worked along side of them as well. It's a heck of a lot different then Arch.
They use to have an Arch forum but I think they mended it back into another forum. I think the reason being is the same reason why there is not a Gentoo forum - the focus in my opinion is to reach out/bring in new Linux users and help them get started.
Enjoy your time here and I may try out Funtoo in the future.

Welcome, good sir..... :3 I might try Funtoo out as well..... :D Also, we try to generally help others here, in regards to learning about Linux..... :) Of course, we don't mind posting about any particular Linux Distro!..... :D

@666threesixes666 I read your installation notes last night. They are nicely written and easier to follow then Gentoo's original docs. Nice job on that. With the exception of the compiling and package management some of the configuration actually is the same as it is in Arch. I would want to try to install it in a way you don't recommend; GPT/Grub/Bios mode. Do you think this will fly?

I haven't used Funtoo in a while now. Welcome to the forums

I'm not familiar with GPT; I think most of the stuff I installed is what you'd call MBR based as far as partitioning. I think this area and maybe the fstab is where Gentoo loses me.

For now, my old e-Machine is running Sabayon :cool:

thanks for all the welcomes everyone! i know of gpt from slackware.... i haven't set that up, id have to virtualize tests, and setup procedures, and document them for funtoo. so my answer is yes it will fly, just expect a few crashes/snags in the process. i know lvm works ok, im not the greatest at hard drive tech stuff at the moment, i just know enough to get by.... i worked a little bit on drbd. i don't suggest xfs as the main install does, i run jfs, though im sure this isn't the correct file system for dealing with tons of small git config files.

id just setup as the default install, then migrate your way towards what ever particular ends you seek. i kind of just wander around linux documenting things, sometimes i do things by request, other times i do it because someone says something about something like gpt. its nice having a very tightly wound community. i would write tutorials for ubuntu but i found the scene to be problematic and difficult to sift through, then topping it all off the binary distros generally had to be reinstalled.

i reinstall the rolling funtoo though i never would have to. i do it to blank slate the machine to find new problems building things zero to working/documenting, and have a separate $HOME partition. i think of the $HOME partition as my windows machines d: storage drive, then just wipe / and treat that as c: so i can save some settings and configs in $HOME's hidden files.

fstab: in terminal run "man fstab" ask and ye shall receive. ;-) (i hate how hard it is to read man pages)

actually.... drobbins already wrote a gpt install guide... google "funtoo GUID_Booting_Guide"

Last edited:
thanks for all the welcomes everyone! i know of gpt from slackware.... i haven't set that up, id have to virtualize tests, and setup procedures, and document them for funtoo. so my answer is yes it will fly, just expect a few crashes/snags in the process. i know lvm works ok, im not the greatest at hard drive tech stuff at the moment, i just know enough to get by.... i worked a little bit on drbd. i don't suggest xfs as the main install does, i run jfs, though im sure this isn't the correct file system for dealing with tons of small git config files.

id just setup as the default install, then migrate your way towards what ever particular ends you seek. i kind of just wander around linux documenting things, sometimes i do things by request, other times i do it because someone says something about something like gpt. its nice having a very tightly wound community. i would write tutorials for ubuntu but i found the scene to be problematic and difficult to sift through, then topping it all off the binary distros generally had to be reinstalled.

i reinstall the rolling funtoo though i never would have to. i do it to blank slate the machine to find new problems building things zero to working/documenting, and have a separate $HOME partition. i think of the $HOME partition as my windows machines d: storage drive, then just wipe / and treat that as c: so i can save some settings and configs in $HOME's hidden files.

fstab: in terminal run "man fstab" ask and ye shall receive. ;-) (i hate how hard it is to read man pages)

actually.... drobbins already wrote a gpt install guide... google "funtoo GUID_Booting_Guide"

Some of this stuff is WAY over my head, but..... :3 HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!..... :3

guid is over my head, id have to get a virtual machine going and hammer on it to figure the process out, then throw the vm in the trash. i think i should start using guid so i can have a few partitions, so i can get specialized file systems for small files going and move all git and small config files onto that partition, then keep the JFS for high performance media storage. i also need to figure out how to put /usr/bin /usr/sbin /bin /sbin on solid state drives, so only the binaries are accelerated. idk id probably want the libs too. right now im making documentation for memtest86+ to insert it into lilo, my mobo is acting kinda funky with 16 gigs of ram (its max) i have memtest on usb from unetbootin but id like to be able to run it from the base os too =D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts