Solved HELP! Disk filling up!!

Solved issue
The problem is likely to do with a combination of the OP
  • choosing to encrypt the drive at install time and
  • choosing inappropriate Settings for Timeshift
If LUKS encryption is used for a drive that has Timeshift on it, /boot must remain unencrypted in order for it to reboot successfully.

From the images the OP supplied, I am guessing that he has his Timeshift settings under User as either including his Home folder or partition, or have the options checked for Include Hidden Files.

The encryption perhaps has not worked as desired, and all of its content is being stored under

/home/.encryptfs/matthew/.Private

The outcome is likely that the two snapshots have taken up a larger than intended amount of space.

The first snapshot, with a flag of O (On Demand) was taken by the OP on 1 April.

The second, scheduled to Monthly, occurred at 3PM 1 May. This one likely "broke the bank".

If the OP follows his plan

... and modifies his Timeshift settings, he should be OK in future.

He also said

... which is likely a good idea.

@CataclysmicGentleman if you let us know here when that is accomplished, I can give you better instructions on Timeshift at my thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/page-32

Cheers

Wizard
thanks!! Yeah things are working better now, and I will read that article you sent on timeshift, the only problem I have right now is dealing with time shift.

let us know how it goes, would be curious to know if not using encryption will change anything.
yeah, I can actually see what takes up my space now! LOL

okay so, after it finished it cleaned itself up- crisis avoided! ill just mark this as solved, with the conclusions:

DONT encrypt your hard drive!

be aware, timeshift belongs on an external drive!

dont panic, and a fresh install of the OS never hurt!

If I recall correctly, there are some people on the Mint forums who only manually take a Timeshift snapshot right before there are updates to download and install, or before installing new apps. In other words, they only take a new snapshot when doing something major to their system.

In any event, you can configure Timeshift in a more sensible way than the defaults, from what I read on Mint's forums, to avoid too many backups taking all your drive space.

honestly I think its timeshift that was the issue, but I will never know, because my files where encrypted, but if the issue happens again I will know this time!

Timeshift does take up space...58GB at the moment but on my 500GB SSD it's nothing as my Root partition is the whole Drive.

Some people create a partition for Root which is always too small and wonder why they get a warning the Drive is full...there are ways to prevent this ever happening.

I only take a Timeshift snapshot if I'm going to install a new Kernel...if I create an image of my system with Foxclone...I delete all Timeshift snapshots before...why backup the backups.
1714712582477.gif

Members online

Latest posts