Solved GNOME desktop environment

Solved issue
Code:
brian@brian-desktop:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
cinnamon
brian@brian-desktop:~$

@Condobloke :-

That probably explains why I get a blank when running that command, Brian. Puppy's 'standard', OOTB set-up - JWM + ROX-filer (with its 'pinboard') isn't a recognised desktop environment as such.......more of a 'cobbled-together' one - using various components - that gives the same effect/appearance as a "full" DE...

'Twas done that way to give the functionality of a DE without the weight. It does, admittedly, involve the need for editing a lot of XML files.......but then most Puppians ARE hobbyists/'tinkerers' by nature. And one of our senior members has, over the last few years, developed an application - JWMdesk - that automates the writing/editing of these files, at the same time wrapping it all up in a far more user-friendly set of GUIs...

Despite perceptions to the contrary, Puppy is nowhere near as 'archaic' as many may think.

(shrug...)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
After the unit and setup arrive next week, and I'm well settled with the Linux OS installed, it'll be fun to start playing with command lines of the type I haven't used since DOS before 2000.

My new English keyboard just arrived ten minutes ago, so it begins!

That probably explains why I get a blank when running that command, Brian. Puppy's 'standard', OOTB set-up - JWM + ROX-filer (with its 'pinboard') isn't a recognised desktop environment as such.......more of a 'cobbled-together' one - using various components - that gives the same effect/appearance as a "full" DE...

'Twas done that way to give the functionality of a DE without the weight.
"Cobbled together" it may be it works very well imo.

.......but then most Puppians ARE hobbyists/'tinkerers' by nature.
I guess I'm the odd one here I use install it and use it OOTB.

Despite perceptions to the contrary, Puppy is no where near as 'archaic' as many may think.
Its plain and simple look no flash and no bells and whistles just a functioning WM/DE.

I use it and I like it. :)

"Cobbled together" it may be it works very well imo.

I guess I'm the odd one here I use install it and use it OOTB.

Its plain and simple look no flash and no bells and whistles just a functioning WM/DE.

I use it and I like it. :)

As the Cardano developer and Linux user wrote to me, 'People like spaghetti and have different tastes for the sauce.'

A developer in the Cardano blockchain community who uses Linux says he likes Ubuntu. I need to consider it before choosing a distribution.

Can anyone help me understand the GNOME desktop environment and / or point me to an explanation with screenshots? To change your Google Meet background in GNOME 42, ensure your browser supports WebGL and has hardware acceleration enabled. Then, during a Meet call, click the ‘Change background’ option to select a preset or upload your custom image. For detailed steps read https://www.bluedothq.com/blog/how-to-change-your-google-meet-background
I heard about GNOME 42, the latest version, offers several enhancements:

• Modern Look: GNOME apps have been ported to GTK4, resulting in a sleeker appearance and improved performance.
  • Settings Redesign: The Applications, Displays, and Remote Desktop settings have been revamped.
  • Screenshot and Screencast UI: GNOME Shell now includes a built-in screenshot and screencast tool accessible via the PrintScr key.
  • Dark Mode Support: System-wide dark mode is available via the new Appearance panel.

Last edited:
I heard about GNOME 42, the latest version, offers several enhancements:

• Modern Look: GNOME apps have been ported to GTK4, resulting in a sleeker appearance and improved performance.
  • Settings Redesign: The Applications, Displays, and Remote Desktop settings have been revamped.
  • Screenshot and Screencast UI: GNOME Shell now includes a built-in screenshot and screencast tool accessible via the PrintScr key.
  • Dark Mode Support: System-wide dark mode is available via the new Appearance panel.
Thank you for responding! My Linux project is on hold because the ThinkPad ordered is two weeks past the expected delivery date and it's not clear if it's been lost or may still appear. That's life on the Azores....

Your information is still good, and appreciated.

I heard about GNOME 42, the latest version
You need to update your AI chatbot or something. ;)

The latest version is GNOME 46, released just this month.

My Linux project is on hold because the ThinkPad ordered is two weeks past the expected delivery date and it's not clear if it's been lost or may still appear. That's life on the Azores....
Hang in there, and good luck!

Members online

Latest posts