FORCE SHUTDOWN -> Auto-Kill apps that prevent Shutdown - HOW ??

T

Tommi Tiihonen

Hello there, Linux gurus! It's Tommi from Finland posting the first thread on this Forum.

I'm wondering on how I could configure Linux Debian 7.7.0 32-bit so that when SHUTTING DOWN or RESTARTING via the MENU (NOT via Terminal command!) then Linux would automatically terminate processes and applications that prevent it from shutting down/restarting.

So I have this Linux OS running as a guest on my VirtualBox 4.3.20 32-bit that runs on Windows 7 SP1 x64 host.

The program that keeps preventing the shutdown process is FileZilla. I have no idea what there is wrong with that program/process so that it just won't terminate automatically.

Any ideas? Could it be a FileZilla configuration/settings related issue instead, and not Linux itself?

I DO have the latest GuestAdditions + ExtensionPack + all the updates installed (both VBox & Linux & Windows). I have tried googling around for a solution but without success.

I really hope that You guys could help me. It's so annoying having to wait almost a minute when I click SHUTDOWN ANYWAY when Linux reports with a pop-up window about FileZilla not closing automatically + it being in the state of 'not responding' and 'preventing shutdown process'.

So even if I click that SHUTDOWN ANYWAY button (on the pop-up error window), it still takes pretty long time from Linux to actually shut down.

Thank You all in advance, and PLEASE HELP poor little me! :)

// Tommi Tiihonen

First off the Poll is not needed. We understand you well enough. ;) Besides Polls are not intended for this purpose.

Now, if the Desktop Environment just killed applications that are keeping the system from shutting down then you would loose information because the applications would not close properly. That is why just killing programs should be a last resort.

You should probably just manually close FileZilla the way it was intended.
File --> Exit or CTRL + Q

Yes Ryan is right here - killing a program is only if it is mis-behaving, freezing and won't shutdown the normal way as Ryan outlines.

Members online

Latest posts