Finally!! Running Linux Mint Cinnamon (live) Some comments before questions in a separate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
My frustrating experiences trying to get up and running with Linux may be helpful to someone so I leaving it here along with some initial comments on Linux as a new user

I'm not positive which of the things I did that finally got Linux going on this old Lenovo laptop, but it happened! AND I finally get to post in "Getting Started" instead of ranting in "Off Topic" about the seemingly endless obstacles standing in my way.

Persistence, determination and a dash of stubbornness. I'm a happy girl today!

I worked for an entire day trying to get Linux going on this laptop with no luck. The Giant and Lenovo put a lot of obstacles in the way of getting into UEFI or BIOS. All I'll say on that is this. There is a very, very small, secret, hidden button with what looks headphones on it that you have to push to get there. And it only works when everything is shut down. After I got into BIOS, I enabled USB boot. I never found an option to show a boot list at start up. None of the numerous methods I found actually worked. After a day of failure, I was exhausted. I picked my brain up off the floor and went to bed. I was too damn tired to take a shower.

The next day I resigned myself to the idea that at least for now I'm still a prisoner.

This is the part that could be helpful to anyone having the problems I was having.

This laptop was left here by #4, (my affectionate name for the ex). I've kept it as a back up in case there are issues with my preferred PC. That happened which is why I'm using the Lenovo instead of my Asus. It hasn't been used for close to 4 years. Massive amounts of useless files, unnecessary software and bloatware, including two different security programs and very much in need of updates, a lot of updates. Yesterday was dedicated to cleaning up this laptop and installing my must have apps. And MORE cleaning. Oh my GAWD! The registry errors!! That took the better part of a day! BIOS updates were mentioned in another thread as an obstacle to booting from a pen drive. I didn't get that far so apparently it wasn't necessary. I quit for the day and put the Lenovo in sleep mode.

A few hours ago and with deflated love for technology, I finally came to visit with the Lenovo. When I clicked the mouse to wake it up, I ran into errors trying to sign in. So I restarted it. I got a whiny message from Windows about some problem booting up. The mouse wasn't working so I couldn't hit the "OK" prompt. I restarted it again. Same message. Still no mouse. Then I got the brilliant idea to hit "Enter" instead of using my mouse. (Actually I just forgot you have to hit "Enter" on the keyboard.The message changed. I thought it was just more attitude from Windows. I hit enter again. Then I noticed the messages were about the USB drive. So I kept going. Finally, I got to the option to boot from the pen drive. There were four options to boot into Linux. I picked the first one.

It worked! I am writing this post with a PC using Linux!!!

Yesterday, I chose to wait to restart the system after one of the driver updates.I must have forgot about it. Sometimes if you're not there to put it off longer, it automatically updates itself. I disabled Windows Updates so I don't think it was that. (I disabled it because they can take a LONG TIME. I don't plan to use Windows and I didn't have time to look at what the updates were for. Some of them aren't actually necessary. Some of them cause problems. In my opinion, the Giant does that to force people to upgrade. Uninstalling hidden updates usually fixes the problem. I've also seen posts that the Giant intentionally interferes, causes problems to force upgrades. The Giant hijacked PC's when they were pushing Windows 10. I have no reason to doubt they would do it again.

Hopefully this will all be helpful to someone else having trouble.

So now my first impressions!

1. It's not intimidating at all. Using a new OS was my biggest concern. That was what I was afraid of. I already have a lot of questions, but think I will be fine. When I first started using computers, I couldn't figure out how to do ANYTHING. I was on the phone with a friend trying to get help. He kept telling me to look at the bottom left side of my monitor where it said "Start". The power on button, the switch that turns on the monitor happened to be right under the start menu. I don't know how many times I said, "I ALREADY turned it on. I was completely clueless! But by within a year I was fixing everyone else's computer.

2. The first thing that really impressed me is how FAST it starts up. I haven't put a single app on it yet, but this is an old PC that hardly compares to the ASUS. It already took a while to start up. Since support for Windows 8.1 ended, and even though cleaning the system is schedule to run everyday, it takes forever! That's one of the reasons I put it sleep mode instead of shutting it down.

3. The internet speed is FAST! And again, this is on the old Lenovo. I can't wait to see how it is on my ASUS. I use a VPN with a lot servers around the world. I've been told that VPN's usually slow down internet speeds. My VPN makes my connection much, much faster. I don't have it installed yet either. I expect to have an even faster connection when I do.

So that's about it for now. If you're reading this and as frustrated as I've been, just keep at it. So far, it looks like it's definitely going to be worth the tears and heart ache it took to get here! This is the time to be stubborn!

My frustrating experiences trying to get up and running with Linux
You want a real experience with Linux Mint? Create a directory named "Pictures" on your secondary storage (not where linux is installed), restart Nemo and navigate to the same partition.
icon_lol.gif
This will get you a real linux experience, which took me a whole week to solve 9 years ago when I installed Mint for the first time.

You want a real experience with Linux Mint? Create a directory named "Pictures" on your secondary storage (not where linux is installed), restart Nemo and navigate to the same partition.
icon_lol.gif
This will get you a real linux experience, which took me a whole week to solve 9 years ago when I installed Mint for the first time.
I'm not that far yet. I'm running into problems installing Linux Mint right now. I just posted about that.

Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon (I think)_ Installation problems and navigation

""After I got into BIOS, I enabled USB boot.""

""It worked! I am writing this post with a PC using Linux!!!""

I think you "accidentally" discovered a way to boot the usb stick, which obviously contains Linux Mint.

Welcome to the club !

My frustrating experiences trying to get up and running with Linux may be helpful to someone so I leaving it here along with some initial comments on Linux as a new user

I'm not positive which of the things I did that finally got Linux going on this old Lenovo laptop, but it happened! AND I finally get to post in "Getting Started" instead of ranting in "Off Topic" about the seemingly endless obstacles standing in my way.

Persistence, determination and a dash of stubbornness. I'm a happy girl today!

I worked for an entire day trying to get Linux going on this laptop with no luck. The Giant and Lenovo put a lot of obstacles in the way of getting into UEFI or BIOS. All I'll say on that is this. There is a very, very small, secret, hidden button with what looks headphones on it that you have to push to get there. And it only works when everything is shut down. After I got into BIOS, I enabled USB boot. I never found an option to show a boot list at start up. None of the numerous methods I found actually worked. After a day of failure, I was exhausted. I picked my brain up off the floor and went to bed. I was too damn tired to take a shower.

The next day I resigned myself to the idea that at least for now I'm still a prisoner.

This is the part that could be helpful to anyone having the problems I was having.

This laptop was left here by #4, (my affectionate name for the ex). I've kept it as a back up in case there are issues with my preferred PC. That happened which is why I'm using the Lenovo instead of my Asus. It hasn't been used for close to 4 years. Massive amounts of useless files, unnecessary software and bloatware, including two different security programs and very much in need of updates, a lot of updates. Yesterday was dedicated to cleaning up this laptop and installing my must have apps. And MORE cleaning. Oh my GAWD! The registry errors!! That took the better part of a day! BIOS updates were mentioned in another thread as an obstacle to booting from a pen drive. I didn't get that far so apparently it wasn't necessary. I quit for the day and put the Lenovo in sleep mode.

A few hours ago and with deflated love for technology, I finally came to visit with the Lenovo. When I clicked the mouse to wake it up, I ran into errors trying to sign in. So I restarted it. I got a whiny message from Windows about some problem booting up. The mouse wasn't working so I couldn't hit the "OK" prompt. I restarted it again. Same message. Still no mouse. Then I got the brilliant idea to hit "Enter" instead of using my mouse. (Actually I just forgot you have to hit "Enter" on the keyboard.The message changed. I thought it was just more attitude from Windows. I hit enter again. Then I noticed the messages were about the USB drive. So I kept going. Finally, I got to the option to boot from the pen drive. There were four options to boot into Linux. I picked the first one.

It worked! I am writing this post with a PC using Linux!!!

Yesterday, I chose to wait to restart the system after one of the driver updates.I must have forgot about it. Sometimes if you're not there to put it off longer, it automatically updates itself. I disabled Windows Updates so I don't think it was that. (I disabled it because they can take a LONG TIME. I don't plan to use Windows and I didn't have time to look at what the updates were for. Some of them aren't actually necessary. Some of them cause problems. In my opinion, the Giant does that to force people to upgrade. Uninstalling hidden updates usually fixes the problem. I've also seen posts that the Giant intentionally interferes, causes problems to force upgrades. The Giant hijacked PC's when they were pushing Windows 10. I have no reason to doubt they would do it again.

Hopefully this will all be helpful to someone else having trouble.

So now my first impressions!

1. It's not intimidating at all. Using a new OS was my biggest concern. That was what I was afraid of. I already have a lot of questions, but think I will be fine. When I first started using computers, I couldn't figure out how to do ANYTHING. I was on the phone with a friend trying to get help. He kept telling me to look at the bottom left side of my monitor where it said "Start". The power on button, the switch that turns on the monitor happened to be right under the start menu. I don't know how many times I said, "I ALREADY turned it on. I was completely clueless! But by within a year I was fixing everyone else's computer.

2. The first thing that really impressed me is how FAST it starts up. I haven't put a single app on it yet, but this is an old PC that hardly compares to the ASUS. It already took a while to start up. Since support for Windows 8.1 ended, and even though cleaning the system is schedule to run everyday, it takes forever! That's one of the reasons I put it sleep mode instead of shutting it down.

3. The internet speed is FAST! And again, this is on the old Lenovo. I can't wait to see how it is on my ASUS. I use a VPN with a lot servers around the world. I've been told that VPN's usually slow down internet speeds. My VPN makes my connection much, much faster. I don't have it installed yet either. I expect to have an even faster connection when I do.

So that's about it for now. If you're reading this and as frustrated as I've been, just keep at it. So far, it looks like it's definitely going to be worth the tears and heart ache it took to get here! This is the time to be stubborn!
Congratulations! I finally got Linux Mint installed on an external USB drive as I need to get my peripherals working before I make the jump. So, I can now boot into a fully functional Linux system, exit it, and go back to my Windows drive where everything works. Now comes the hard part to learn how to install software and make things work! In Afrikaans we say vasbyt! (Persevere!). We will get there eventually!

Installing software in Linux is the easy part.

In Software Manager there are up to 60000 pieces of software available

You certainly dont NEED all of that...in fact most of the software necessary is already installed.

Try and rid yourself of the windows mentality, which means installing software whether you need it or not.

Yeah, it IS a bit like that when you eventually manage to get your first Linux distro up-and-running. You're exactly like a kid on Xmas morning; the stocking hanging on the bed-post is stuffed full of goodies, you go downstairs and there's another pile of prezzies under the Xmas tree......it's been snowing over night, and although it's freezing outside it's a glorious sunny morning (so building snowmen, toboganning and snowball fights with your mates beckon...) Life's FULL of possibilities!

You may be happy with what you've installed, and wish to master that. You might perhaps embark on a spell of 'distro-hopping' once you realise that installing/testing-out distros is in fact quite simple really.....and see if there's summat out there you like better. A rare few individuals 'distro-hop' forever, and never really settle down with anything.....but such are few and far between. Many will 'play' incessantly, yet invariably will have one permanent, 'main' install they can return to when they actually want/need to 'do stuff'.

After a while, the majority will finally tire of distro-hopping and eventually 'settle-down' with a favourite distro that ticks all the boxes. I started my Linux journey in May of 2014; I began with Ubuntu, like so many did; after 3 months, I began 'hopping'. Eventually, around February of 2015 I stumbled upon 'Puppy'.....and it didn't take me long to realise that I'd found 'the one for me'. Being an inveterate 'tinkerer' by nature, I've been with Puppy pretty much ever since......with the sole exception of a long-standing fling with HaikuOS, the current-day 'take' on the BeOS of the late 90s (which was way ahead of its time.....and in some respects, Haiku - its spiritual successor - still is.)

Everybody's journey will be different. The main thing is that you enjoy it.......take your time, learn things at your own pace, and above all, if you need to run Windows - for whatever reasons - DO try to keep the two completely separate. Your sanity will thank you for doing so! :p

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the last post of the OP at #5 pre-dates the many problems she has been experiencing in February and early March, covered in other threads.

Although I am sure she will appreciate the well wishes from those above, I will lock this Thread for now, and if/when Sherri is back in business she can ask me to unlock it if she wishes.

Cheers all and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online