FileZilla or XDE install in Knoppix 7.6 (the Knoppix KGet did it)

visionhelp

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, Knoppix 9.1 install is in plan.
But currently a broken download (at 3 GB, still missing 1,7) I do not want to begin from new from a slow internet-connection.
I downloaded this file for 32 and 64 bit:

FileZilla 3.66.0_i686-linux-gnu.tar.xz​

From https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=linux64.
Maybe I took the wrong download, sorry.
I extracted with Xarchiver (in Knoppix 7.6), and received a folder ´ FileZilla3´. But no file for me is to find there, which is for start.
What am I missing I just do not know, please.
My hope is, to be able to just continue the broken download.
Thanks in advance.
(I found XDM, but does not start, as I write later here.)

Last edited:

Or can XDM help this broken download to continue, even when first installed after the broken file (part 3 GB) already exists ?
(Knoppix 7.6 usually never crashes, this download did twice make a light blue-grey screen, similar as the blue screen from Win, but without error-message.)

OK. Next new try, with KGet in Knoppix.

(Sorry, if doing here some things now but just disturbing, in the sense of not so OK here, please just tell me.)

Knoppix is one of the larger distro's to download. It's a good distro, I like it.
But it comes with everything already installed. This can be good if you don't
really have an internet connection to download applications.

Most modern distro's are smaller, less than half the size of Knoppix.
They are easier to install, ( most install the desktop by default ). The idea is,
that if you need some application, you just download it when you need it, after
everything has already been installed.

I admire someone who does things a little different from the crowd.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Knoppix is one of the larger distro's to download
Oh, I did not know this.
The idea is,
that if you need some application, you just download it when you need it
Not the worst idea. But if then is just missing much ...
(I could watch the 9.1 version on stick, as very fast. The most important.
On SSD shall be still a bit faster.)
A middle thing could be interessting:
In 98 it was possible to install some things and ´un-install´ or so - de-activate, I am not sure about this - later, from CD.
A menu for to do it similar - a list of all available, with short descriptions - to choose to install, when wanted, could help this. Also for it first does not to be searched eached in the internet. And to download first still.
The main-system in one file, the available tools in as an other file. For example.

They are easier to install
The hard of Knoppix to install were some things in mind, about the second partition - called SWAP-partition (4 GB), as one precondition (to install) - and the two different file-systems
After once accepted - having, after some mis-tries; despite too much ther is not to do wrong - in mind, the rest was easy, to me.
(Whether from/to Win is to read/write with, too, better said:
For example web-sites are not to save - ah, do not remind exact now this, but -, not to copy onto a stick, if first downloaded onto (for example on) desktop, to FAT 32. Other things are.
This does effort, fo figure out how to handle this easy.)

most install the desktop by default
Means, without no grafical interface for desktop. ´Everything´ on command-line ?

The admire: OK. For me it is usual.
""Good luck": Thanks.
Ah, by the way: Kget - after 4 and 1/2 hours the download is done.
(From this point this topic for me is solved, for now.)

Last edited:
Knoppix is unique. But it might not be developed anymore. Because it uses ReiserFS, which was recently declared deprecated and later versions of the Linux kernel will not recognize it anymore.

What a shame. Many distros in the past were based on Knoppix for its unique "as live as installed" quality, although the v9.1 had a lot of niggles such as its KDE refusing to display the time on the panel. Or my attempt to use QB64 and it compiles only in 32-bit while it declared itself a 64-bit operating system. :p

Sometime last year I tried to do the full system upgrade on it which failed, of course. But I was able to install Wine v5.0 on it. Couldn't do very much with it though, compared to eg. Debian "Bullseye" XFCE.

I do like the "renaissance penguin" logo it shows at startup. ;)

not be developed anymore
Currently it is v9.3. But only to receive with the magazine, as already the v9.2 so.
"as live as installed" quality
The live was what was amazing to me.
system upgrade
This I do basically avoid.
Despite some little settings - as screen-solution, no 3D, or so - I have to repeat, to do again.
Downloads basically saving to an extra external archive-drive.
Wine v5.0 on it. Couldn't do very much with it though
I got Wordpad - from XP - to run in Wine. For text I do not need more. But a browser (MyPal, PaleMoon) I did not got to run there. (In Knoppix 7.6. But the PaleMoon for Linux as portable, extract and find a file to start in the extracted forlder.) (9.1 I want to do as one of the next.)
But here now I am happy, I could find the KGet download-manager in Knoppix (7.6). Which solved now my ´big download´ trouble. Despite it could not continue the (already having) 3GB broken download, and had to start the whole download of 5,7 GB again. OK.

"renaissance penguin" logo
The logo is a topic, but not now for me.
Now I am interessted in Mint Mate, from which is said it is be near at XP. I am curious.

Last edited:

Members online