Dropbox sync happening only one way - the wrong way!

E

Earthcare

Hi all.

I'm running dropbox-lnx.x86_64-4.4.29 on Linux-Mint 17.3. I i need to backup designated directories to dropbox, without downloading unrelated files in the cloud; it's doing the direct opposite: downloading the cloud files and not uploading the directories. I have designated the directories by putting symlinks into the dropbox directory.

The only clue I have is that running "dropbox status" from the CLI results in
Can't monitor Dropbox folder (Click to fix) //(but what to click?)
Can't access Dropbox folder
Syncing (26 files remaining)

Running "dropbox running" returns nothing, "dropbox filestatus" shows that only the dropbox directory is syncing. But it's not.

Posted the problem to a dropbox forum, and the response was "Dropbox can not see changes that are made at the other end of a symlink unless it re-indexes your files. This is done when Dropbox is first started." So, given that my PC is shutdown at night and restarted in the morning, this should mean that the files are re-indexed daily, which would result in a daily sync, and that would suit me just fine. Another suggestion was symlinks were the problem, and putting everything I want to backup into the dropbox directory would solve it, but that would severely stuff up my directory structure and permissions.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Edwin

Members online