Clonezilla doesn't see sda

Lena10

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I used clonezilla many times and it worked perfectly! But now when I try to use clonezilla I see only two parts sda3(swap) and sdc1(USB flash). My laptop working. I can't understand what's the problem and why I don't see my whole disc SDA mounted in clonezilla as always.
Thank you!

PS.I use Debian
I tried both disk with clonezilla and Debian package. Result the same.

I had problems with the latest clonezilla also. 4 times of attempting to clone to end up with garbly gook. Clonezilla was misreading drives. The solution I used was to do the expert mode and select sector clone and that worked for me. Maybe for you also.

If you want something that's reliable...fast...easy to use...can clone or create an image you should try Foxclone.
m1212.gif

https://foxclone.org/

If you want something that's reliable...fast...easy to use...can clone or create an image you should try Rescuezilla

:)

Hello!
The solution was simple. I deleted most of files in Download and Documents folders. In the past Clonezilla backup was only 2GB. But now It takes 49GB.
PS. My SSD has 90GB used space.

Where are you storing the backup ?

Did you try Foxclone as I suggested. ?

My M.2 SSD is 14.5% full......so it occupies approx. 36 GB

Rescuezilla reduces that to 15.3 GB ....out of the box. That is the default compression. It can be compressed further.

Did you try Foxclone as I suggested. ?
Of cause! I downloaded standard ISO from foxclone.org. In this site I see that file have 649MB. I downloaded this file 3 times and every time file have only 603 GB. Balena Ether burned foxclone with mistakes. And now I use Ventoy for booting Clonezilla Live.

My M.2 SSD is 14.5% full......so it occupies approx. 36 GB

Rescuezilla reduces that to 15.3 GB ....out of the box. That is the default compression. It can be compressed further.
My SSD have around 98GB used space. Backup takes 49GB. Almost the same as Rescuezilla

I had problems with the latest clonezilla also. 4 times of attempting to clone to end up with garbly gook. Clonezilla was misreading drives. The solution I used was to do the expert mode and select sector clone and that worked for me. Maybe for you also.
Yes, Clonezilla Debian package can see only sda3 (swap partition) and sdb1 (USB). That's why I use Clonezilla ISO from Clonezilla.org with Ventoy. I tried expert mode but for me It produce the same result but takes to much time (around 5 hours). Now I use beginner mode, as always.

Last edited:
Of cause! I downloaded standard ISO from foxclone.org. In this site I see that file have 649MB. I downloaded this file 3 times and every time file have only 603 GB. Balena Ether burned foxclone with mistakes. And now I use Ventoy for booting Clonezilla Live.

Really...
2023-10-31-18-52.png

2023-10-31-18-57.png

I think you'd better stick with clonezilla.
t2311.gif

I don't know why I can download only 603GB instead of 649GB on laptop and mobile phone. I was surprised also. But It is a fact. And I solved my problem as I could.

I don't know what you guys are doing to get a 49GB directory created by Clonezilla, from one partition or disk. How big is that disk/partition originally?

I have to stop using that program, but because it is very slow, does unnecessary operations like rebuild "initramfs" which takes at least 5-10 minutes each kernel it finds, including the ones that should be affected by "sudo apt autoremove" and it becomes married to internal disk so it's probed hundreds of times per run. But I can't find something else better that I could trust. I've been using that program without much desire before I joined this site, but I don't want to use something else if it's also clunky and counterintuitive.

If you are like me, who likes running entire Linux OS's from external pluggable disks, which I don't recommend anyone else to do, Clonezilla could help fix a few things. Especially something I've discovered which I believe is more disgusting than disk fragmentation on Windows. Startup taking very slow. With backing up with Clonezilla, reformatting to zero's, making sure the disk has GPT, and restoring back to that disk has increased performance. But it might be temporary. Now I'm convinced Linux dumps on itself even more than Windows ever did. Definitely from computer turn-on to log-in screen, it's taking way longer than any Windows version I've seen. The absolute winner used to be Windows7. :/

I almost forgot to mention I did this operation recently on my MX Linux "Wildflower" installation. It wasn't long before it's dragging its foot again starting up, with the message "Loading Linux 5.10.0-26" staying a really long time. Whatever has the "deb11.11" or whatever stemming from Spiral Linux "Bullseye" that I have is also holding up like this much longer than anything I ran last year.

Usually from cloning an operating system off a 32GB USB disk, the resulting Clonezilla directory doesn't go much more than 4GiB. I do try to clean out unnecessary business from the installation before backing up. But sometimes I do get lazy which costs me about 1.5 to 2GiB more.

I also boot Clonezilla from a disk prepared with Ventoy. Because it is the only way I could tolerate it.

If you choose to load Clonezilla into RAM you will lose the /dev/sda if it's the first disk that has to be introduced. If the internal disk is /dev/sda, like on my computer, then you will lose /dev/sdb by making that menu choice in Clonezilla's GRUB menu. This is because you booted from /dev/sdb via Ventoy, then later this disk would have to be removed and therefore the system would need a placeholder so it doesn't get confused later. This is expected from any operating system derrived from Unix that could load into RAM.

In case the question had to be answered the topic name was asking.

I booted from /dev/sdb1 and saved my backup on /dev/sdc1 partition (another USB). I have read about Ventoy from internet. I like the idea: one USB for all ISO files without burning. I don't need use extra USB every time for burning. And It was the only solution for me to solve my solution quickly:)

Members online