Change DNS Servers. Use "Network or Advanced Network Configuration?

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
So as the title says, I'm changing the DNS servers for my VPN.

The have instructions using an app or the terminal. The instructions for the app don't work. Why would their instructions for the terminal work? Right now, I don't know what codes mean so I can't correct anything if it's wrong.

• Using the app
    • They refer to a "Network Manager"
      • I have "Network" and "Advanced Network Settings"
      • It looks like the settings can be applied using either one, Advanced has settings I don't know what to do with.
    • Instructions say to enter both addresses on one line separated with a comma.
    • If I enter them this way, I can't apply the settings
    • I tried both apps with the same results
  • When I was still enslaved, the Giant insisted on separate entries for each address.
  • What I'm looking at in both apps look the addresses should be entered separately

I'm too new to Linux to know for sure if I'm doing this right. My understanding of networking is also limited.

1710657653946.png

Using "Network"

1710657757970.png

1710658288703.png

This one seems to be the right way to change DNS settings, but what do I know!

So, you have followed the steps above?....

For you, that should be all

Your vpn should now use those dns settings

If this is about speed, the fastest dns settings in the world are probably either Cloudflare or google

If this is about speed, the fastest dns settings in the world are probably either Cloudflare or google

I did what the second image shows. My concern is that I'm changing the settings correctly. I entered the addresses separately. After applying them and entering the commands I looked in network connections again. They show as one entry now, separated with a comma.

It's DNS leaks. Those slow down my connection. I still have them.

When I was still using the Giant's OS, I had to change more than just this. I just checked for leaks. I had to change settings for the nordlynx network also. There are a couple of things I don't recognize.

Maybe it's my VPN, but remember Cloudfare slowing down my connection and also having something to with DNS leaks. I DO know that Cloudfare would always show up when my connection was slower, and when I had leaks. When everything was working good, as in a much faster connection, I didn't see Cloudfare when I did a DNS leak test.

I'm starting to get really aggravated.

Not with anyone here!

I can't yell at my VPN provider. Not even through chat, I don't know why I can't connect, they owe me $100 for a refund that should have issued in December, my bank is disputing the charges and NordVPN is being a total donkey butt about it. I may be cancelling this subscription. I can dispute the charges over this too. :mad::mad::mad:

And I don't really think this is off topic either. If they were available, this post wouldn't be necessary!

Thank you! I feel so much better now.

I'm quitting for the night. I'll probably be calling my bank tomorrow if I don't hear back from them soon. My connection is pretty fast using Linux without NordVPN anyway. I'll just get something else that costs a lot less money.

I use airvpn.

If I really want to tie the whole dns thing down....i go look here

just in case you get signed out on that page...it looks like this:

2024-03-18_05-36.png

2024-03-18_05-37.png

2024-03-18_05-38.png

I'm comparing a few things. Last night it was taking an unusually long time for window to open. I updated to LM 21.3 last night. It seemed to take a lot longer to download.

Things are faster today. So I'm checking on some things.

Okay,
Right now I have a Zoom meeting open.

WITHOUT a connection to my VPN I have 10 DNS leaks. Cloudfare is the DNS server.

1710705164370.png

WITH a connection to my VPN I have 23 leaks and Packethub

1710705292700.png

Therefore your vpn is a joke ?
It gets along very well with the Giant. If could ever figure out how change those settings, if I could connect to chat... Hmm. I wonder if their VPN has something to do with why I couldn't connect to chat???

Or, it is not configured properly.

Most vpn's have a default set up that takes care of this

popup blockers and the like sometimes affect chat windows.

Members online