B&O Linux network problem. Help needed!

FEB43

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I own a Bang & Olufsen Beosound 5 Encore.
I know it runs under Linux. I don’t know which one, they have used a lot of different distributions.
Maybe I can catch some infos on the Product Info screen but I’m not sure it helps.
The problem: it runs perfectly except... the internet radios and the NAS. I have no network!
I’ve checked everything, changed cables, reset factory default parameters, reboot, disconnect a long tiime from the electric plug... no result!
Normally this device has DHCP enabled by default. Now it’s turned off and when I set it on and store the new value, it says failed,
I’ve said OK try the wireless network.
I have a Devolo CPL plug enabled with separate SSID for 2,4 and 5 GHZ.
The Beosound uses 5 GHZ only.
Automatic connection: no access point found.
Manual connection: conecting ... waiting a little bit and failed!
So, it’s not a computer but a Linux system, I can manage it if I know how to enter in it.
I have an old desktop that I use for that but it has a Win XP system.
May I plug it to the RJ45 cable with a Linux repair disk to fix it?
Which repair disk?
I don’t see how to open a console in this case.
I think a configuration file has been damaged and I’m looking for the best way to repair it.
I have a crosscable, do I need it?
Feel free to ask questions, advices, precisions, I’m not a beginner but I’m lost!
Thanks for your help.
Best regards,
François

For those who know it, there are efficent repair booting CD like UBCD.
For Windows... do you have the same For Linux ?
Thanks, François

I don't know if this is really a Linux question.

Are you sure that your Devolo is linked to your network and works. Can you try another apparatus, cabled, in it to see?

Have you followed the manual for a wired connection? Page 14 https://bangolufsenassistentgohe.bl...ENCORE/beosound5-encore_userguide_english.pdf

The diagram suggests that the NAS is a separate device.
Hello,
A Linux question... yes, it’s the system of the device.
The technician of the B&O shop where I’ve bought it is not able to solve this problem. One of his first response was ”it is a WIndows XP problem ”. My answer ”are you really sure, may you check?” then ”ah, sorry the system is Linux but I don’t know it. Maybe the lan card is broken, we have to change it” then ” are you sure there is such a card?” then ”ah, no, you’re right, it’s integrated to the mobo, we can’t repair anything”. And son on...

Then I’ve tried 4 RJ45 different cables, the Devolo plug works fine, I’m writing this mail with a Samsung Galaxy tab S5E connected through it. If you can read it... it works!
The network connection was opérationnel last week. Nothing has changed, except I’ve added some music in the USB disk attached. Because there is a limit in term of songs, around 40 000, nobody knows, sometime it doesn’t refresh the content and you have to apply the reset to factory default fonction.
That’s I did. And there came the problem!
I have been in the same situation around two years ago.
The solution which was working was to reset to factory default parameters... with a keyboard transmitter plugged in the USB port.
And it has worked fine, but not now.

I’m quite sure it’s a software problem as all hardware is OK.
I just need to be able to enter in the system with a PC connected, open a terminal window and fix the good values in the damaged configuration file.

That’s quite easy to do but I don’t know how to do it.
Do I need to use a crosscable?
Is there a Linux bootable CD which I may use to achieve this connection?
The default parameters are wrong and the configuration file seems write protected or damaged, I don’t know as I can’t check it.

So, the question is simple: how to repair a Linux based device using a connected desktop?

Thanks for your help.
Best regards,
François

Hello,
I think this is now missing, I don’t know why, maybe to many reboots?

”One more way of setting DHCP client on an interface is to configure it to use DHCP in /etc/network/interfaces file
#Interface is brought up at boot time with 'auto' option.
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet DHCP
This setup in the interfaces file will start the dhclient on the eth0 service”.

This is exactly what I want...
Thanks for your help.
Best regards,
François

Members online