An Unusual "History of the Internet" ... Worth Sharing

sphen

Reaction score
Credits
Some people here have a deeper understanding of the internet and the protocols that are used behind the scenes that make it work. You may have heard of HTTPS (browser), DNS (domain names), DHCP (getting an IP address), SMTP/IMAP/POP (email), and many more common protocols and standards. Some here have experience beyond "Which port do I open for that?"

The Internet Protocol Journal is published four times a year and has scholarly articles related to the protocols that are used by everyone on the internet. They are celebrating their 25th anniversary. I do not remember exactly when I started reading it, but it was soon after that.

The current issue has a very unusual history of the internet, from the perspective of the protocol stack itself. The article is titled, "Twenty-Five Years Later". It was written by Geoff Huston, Chief Scientist at the Asia-Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC). Geoff is Australian, by the way. APNIC is one of the five regional internet registries that hands out IP address blocks.

It starts on page 23 and is 29 pages long, including two pages of references and additional reading notations. The article may not be appropriate for a typical home Linux user, but it would not hurt to peek anyway.

I found this article thoroughly enjoyable to read and recommend it so highly that I felt it was worth creating this Off Topic thread for you. The article is full of fascinating insights, especially those related to the interactions between the evolving internet economy, their evolving business-driven use cases, and how the protocols were created and used (or misused) in step with the economic changes. The interactions and dependencies between the evolving protocols and the business economic factors and how they evolved and changed are described in a way that gives a new perspective on the history of the internet.

I am certain that it is not for everyone here. It is long, detailed, and somewhat technical, although it might be considered "soft and easy" for regular readers of the journal, perhaps.

Start at page 23, here:

-> If it is not your "cup of tea", please do not shoot the messenger. Enjoy!

Members online