Adobe Reader

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Christ Almighty, Reader 9.5.5 is ancient. I was building packages for this, what......7, 8 years ago? And it was 3-4 yrs out-of-date then.

Okay, it's still fully-functional, but I hate to think of what the online vulnerabilities must be like by now. I'm gobsmacked that anyone's wasted their time building this, really I am. And it was only ever available as a 32-bit build, so that alone dates it...

(shakes head...)

EDIT:- Even more worrying, a few well-aimed web searches reveal that no end of the more respected Linux blogs are still recommending this 10-11 year old package. I thought we wuz all "sicoority-minded" these days, know what I mean, like..?

Jeez, Louise. Personally, I use Master PDF Editor for anything PDF-related. Either that, or Qoppa's PDF Studio. Both free, and both highly-competent packages.

Mike. o_O

Last edited:
Concur:

PDF viewer​

Adobe Reader software is the official Adobe software for viewing, printing, and annotating PDF documents.
NOTE: This software is unmaintained by the vendor and may contain security vulnerabilities.
NOTE: This wrapper is not verified by, affiliated with, or supported by Adobe.

Changes in version 9.5.5​

almost 10 years ago

I just use LibreOffice Writer to edit PDFs.

Both free, and both highly-competent packages.

Mike, my understanding was that Master PDF's free offering was on a trial basis only. is that not the case?

FYI this post was a joke since we all know there are many better alternatives for reading pdf's on Linux but I thought it interesting to see that there was actually a Flatpak for it now.

Now that is 'Gotcha!!' moment !!!

Mike, my understanding was that Master PDF's free offering was on a trial basis only. is that not the case?
@wizardfromoz :-

Heh. I ought to clarify this a bit.

Amongst many others, I've built Puppy 'portable' packages of Master PDF. Now; the current release is Qt5-based; the previous 4-series is Qt4-based. That's by-the-bye, but those of us in the community that use this actually prefer the older 4-series.......because Code Industry have taken it into their heads to cut-down on the available features in the 5-series. And yes, you're right; this is entirely due to the fact that they're now going out of their way to "encourage" you to pay for it, in order to get the full range of features.

The older 4-series was far more full-featured as a 'free' product. So I took the .deb packages - or the tarball, I forget which I used - and used some of our available community scripts to build my own AppImage of this......following which, I then built the Puppy 'portable' all-in-one.

Which works very well.

(Don't get me wrong about Adobe's Reader 9.5.5. Yes, it IS ancient.....but it's still a very competent package, for all that. I've got a couple of builds for it, kicking around somewhere in my repos; been there several years. I don't use it myself, and although it gets very few downloads these days I still leave it up for anyone else that might want it.

I also run Adobe's Photoshop CS2; I grabbed a copy during the free-for-all when they switched off the CS2 activation servers several years back. It's the very last version of this that's almost trouble-free under WINE. I use it alongside the GIMP - they're both raster graphics editors - and have got so used to both of them I can switch from one to the other, mid-project, and carry on without missing a beat. They're really not so different, despite what Photoshop users would have you believe!)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

Members online