Why Linux is more secure than Windows

SimplifiedPrivacy

Reaction score
Credits
I have been reading this forum for a long time and now it is a pleasure to contribute. This article I wrote covers an overview of why Linux is more secure than windows including:

Organic feedback loops through it's organisational structure
And the Package Manager's Design vs downloading software on your own and how this translates into stopping malware and updating software

Enjoy:

Interesting......
In sharp contrast, Linux automatically sandboxes externally downloaded applications to only have permissions related to that software itself and not the entire system.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Why is Linux more secure because it doesn't contain spyware and no secret backdoors that allow m$ employees to see all your files and delete them plus everything else.
m1212.gif

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Why is Linux more secure because it doesn't contain spyware and no secret backdoors that allow m$ employees to see all your files and delete them plus everything else.
m1212.gif
This is also true and funny. However, this only would convince an individual not a corporation to switch over

In sharp contrast, Linux automatically sandboxes externally downloaded applications to only have permissions related to that software itself and not the entire system.

Hello, could you please explain to me exactly what you mean?

explain to me exactly what you mean?
the following is an introduction, taken from the digital ocean site, and is a simple basic description

"Sandboxing is a computer security technique that focuses on isolating a program or process from parts of a system that it does not need to interact with during normal operation. When a new program is started it has all of the abilities of the user that it runs as. These abilities are very often much more than the program needs to perform its function. This can lead to security issues when a bad actor manipulates the program to access some of its unused abilities to do something the program would not normally do.

The purpose of sandboxing is to identify exactly what abilities and resources a program needs, and then block off everything else."

this is taken from the intro, to a how to install/use sandbox in Ubuntu [if not already installed]

Here's something interesting I saw somewhere on the net...

The permission-based structure in Linux prevents regular users from performing administrative actions because each app needs authorization by the superuser (root) before it’s executed. This barrier makes it difficult for any virus to sneak into the system and make disasters.

Without being a root, you won’t be able to run/install new programs on Linux. Only the superuser has the privilege to access all files in the system.

Linux does not process executables without explicit permission as this is not a separate and independent process. So you’ll have to chmod +x a file before running it.

On Linux, it is harder for the virus to get system-level access. This is because the root account owns system-related files. Therefore, if infected, viruses can be easily removed as they can only affect the user account where they were installed and do not affect the root account.

In other words, the Linux architecture makes it almost impossible for a virus to do anything. This is one of the main reasons we still don’t need antivirus software on Linux.

I think this makes perfect sense.
m1212.gif

Brilliant find, Bob

That tells the story beautifully.

Staff online

Members online