USB icon on desktop

@JohnJ - can you help me out here?

What is the device name for the external drive, eg /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc or other?

You can find that in Terminal with the output of

Code:
lsblk

That's a lowercase L at the beginning.

I have to reboot and then I will return.

Back

John I have dummied up an icon on my desktop, near my cursor you can see, and you can confirm for me or correct for me that you want to have something similar on your desktop that you could right-click and have the context menu that appears show the option to safely remove drive. The icon would have maybe a small drive depicted.

rEFYBoa.png

Is that what you are seeking to do?

Chris

@JohnJ - can you help me out here?

What is the device name for the external drive, eg /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc or other?

You can find that in Terminal with the output of

Code:
lsblk

That's a lowercase L at the beginning.

I have to reboot and then I will return.
OK. Here is an Image. I tried to instal Pinta and run it to draw a big fat line around SDD but Pinta keeps crashing. So it's back to explanations - SDD is the parent, the compete removable SSD connected via USB. ssd1 and ssd2 are the kids, partitions in SSD. SSD is the icon I would like on my desktop. Whew.
1715060974772.png

John I have dummied up an icon on my desktop, near my cursor you can see, and you can confirm for me or correct for me that you want to have something similar on your desktop that you could right-click and have the context menu that appears show the option to safely remove drive. The icon would have maybe a small drive depicted.

rEFYBoa.png

Is that what you are seeking to do?

Chris
Excellent. OMG Yes!

OK, so that's a Samsung 500 GB external SSD, is that so?

Described as /dev/sdd

Don't get too excited yet, I've had my heart checkup but not sure about you.

I'll come back with more in a mo'

OK, so that's a Samsung 500 GB external SSD, is that so?

Described as /dev/sdd
I think that's right. Cant's remember and Ive lost the box. It's one of those skinny ones (pardon the technical term) that sits in a thin, narrow caddy.

Back - just had to get the steak out of the freezer for tea and a beer to lubricate my brain

Gotcha, I'll post more in a moment.

For The Viewers and our Helpers, John is trying to achieve what I described at #23 above.

The file manager in Cinnamon is called Nemo, and it will be likely this goal can be achieved with some tweaking with Nemo.

Nemo is intimately related to the desktop environment Cinnamon, more closely than the other desktop environments and their file managers - Dolphin with KDE, Caja with MATE, Thunar with Xfce, Nautilus with GNOME and so on.

BUT - I do not think this is available to Nemo OOTB (out of the box). It may be with an extension or plugin, and I am going to look into that now that I am certain of the OP's desire.

Of course, if any of our wonderful helpers has the solution at their fingertips, do let us know and I can learn too. :)

If I am not mistaken John is our Tennant Creek Aussie, and if that is so, he is not within cooee of a LUG (Linux User Group), so as a new Linux user, he is very reliant on our help.

I know I can count on everyone, and John, you are doing very well - Linux can be a culture shock when you have spent years with a certain other OS.

Cheers

Wiz

My bad - I was thinking of @wm460 at Tennant Creek, I'll edit my above later.

Got Aussies popping up everywhere.

For The Viewers and our Helpers, John is trying to achieve what I described at #23 above.

The file manager in Cinnamon is called Nemo, and it will be likely this goal can be achieved with some tweaking with Nemo.

Nemo is intimately related to the desktop environment Cinnamon, more closely than the other desktop environments and their file managers - Dolphin with KDE, Caja with MATE, Thunar with Xfce, Nautilus with GNOME and so on.

BUT - I do not think this is available to Nemo OOTB (out of the box). It may be with an extension or plugin, and I am going to look into that now that I am certain of the OP's desire.

Of course, if any of our wonderful helpers has the solution at their fingertips, do let us know and I can learn too. :)

If I am not mistaken John is our Tennant Creek Aussie, and if that is so, he is not within cooee of a LUG (Linux User Group), so as a new Linux user, he is very reliant on our help.

I know I can count on everyone, and John, you are doing very well - Linux can be a culture shock when you have spent years with a certain other OS.

Cheers

Wiz
Thanks Wiz. Psst...anything better than Pinta out there. It keeps crashing. How about Gimp. Looks complicated enough to blow my socks off.

That's right, Maleny Man (lucky bugger), got it now.

I know you can create shorts for Internal Drives on the Desktop but I don't know about External Drives.
1715064219934.gif

...anything better than Pinta out there. It keeps crashing.

Start a separate thread and ask. Let them know your distro and DE (desktop environment).

Let us know your method, Bob. It may be tweakable.

Chris

Members online

Latest posts